Dorm Reunions Not Universal

For current and former residents of Darnall and HarbinHalls, this weekend will be full of dorm-specific activities. The groups will celebrate the third annual Eleanor DarnallDay on Saturday and the newly revived Harbin Day on Friday, respectively. But students who lived in New South Hall or Village C will be involved in no such celebrations.

Craig Melcher (MSB ’13), Murphy Kate Delaney (COL ’13), Chris Yedibalian (COL ’13) and Mike Appau (COL ’13), who attended the last Harbin Day as freshmen in spring 2010, pushed to re-establish the event, which will take place on Harbin Patio tonight.

“It was an awesome memory of being outside and hanging out with your friends and we wanted to bring that back for us in our senior year and provide that to the freshmen as well,” Melcher said.

Melcher said that there is no connection between the events in the two dormitories. Harbin Day, originally founded in 2007, has not been held for two years, whereas Darnall residents have only been celebrating the birthday of Eleanor Darnall, Georgetown founder John Carroll’s mother, since 2011. Both current and former residents are invited to the celebration.

“It’s to bring everyone together, upperclassmen to freshmen,” Vice President of Event Planning forDarnall Hall Robert Iannaccone (NHS ’16) said. “It’s also to celebrate how great Darnall is. [Darnall] has a reputation [for] being one of the worst dorms, but you form close relationships and really enjoy it.”

Some freshmen in New South and Village C objected to the absence of celebrations in those dorms.

“Residence hall celebration days should be something for all of the dorms, not just some of them,” Village C West resident Zoe Rosen (COL ’16) said. “VCW should work to have one next year.”

On the other hand, Riya Modi (COL ’16), a New South resident, did not think that a New South Day would be necessary.

“Every day is New South Day, so I don’t really mind,’ Riya Modi (COL ’16) said. “But if there was one, I probably would stop by for some free food and to hang out with everyone.”

InterHall Council, the Students of Georgetown Inc.’s philanthropy committee and WGTB will fundHarbin’s celebration. Since this year’s celebration was due to the efforts of its organizers, it is not certain whether a Harbin Day will be held next year.

Though Darnall Day is open to all of the hall’s current and past residents, Harbin Day is only open to freshmen residents and seniors who lived in Harbin.

“We hope it will be a good memory to wrap up the freshman year specific to their residence hall,”Melcher said. “It’s kind of a way to wrap up the community experience.”

Jaysel Shah (SFS ’16) is excited to have the chance to celebrate with her Harbin hall mates one last time.

“I am going to miss Harbin so much after I leave, so the event would be a great way to see everyone I’ve met throughout the year,” Shah said.

Harbin’s event will feature cornhole, Frisbee and burgers from the Georgetown University Grilling Society, while Darnall’s will feature tailgate-themed activities, such as “Pie the Hall Director” and soda pong.

“I’m definitely planning on going to Harbin Day,” Zaynab Malik (COL ’16) said. “There’s nothing better than sunshine, friends and GUGS burgers.”

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA