GUTV Highlights New Career Focus

Georgetown University Television hits the airwaves this fall with an expanded lineup of both videos and professional connections for the student-run station.

Founded in 1998 by a small group of students interested in film and broadcasting, GUTV  has made an effort in recent years to expand its programming. In the process, it has become an important stepping stone for students looking for careers in television.

“I would say that we definitely place a bigger emphasis on shows now at GUTV, but we are also really focused on creating those connections and relationships with big names in the field that will definitely help members in the future,” said Megan Acheampong (COL ’13), general manager of GUTV.

Some of those efforts include weekly trips to the CBS news studio, where members are able to learn about the industry first-hand and interact with leaders in the field.

In past years, GUTV has had members intern at entertainment giants such as Nickelodeon and MTV.Acheampong interned in Beverly Hills this summer and will be interning at the Grammy Awards this upcoming summer.

“In today’s cutthroat entertainment industry, you have to have something to show for yourself when you go to apply to graduate school or look for a job,” she said. “Putting together a portfolio can be very expensive, and we have the resources that can make the whole process easier for students.”

GUTV covers events around campus — from graduation to Film Fest — in addition to featuring seven student-produced shows.

One of these shows, “Full Court Press,” was started by friends Coerte Voorhees (COL ’12) and James Pickens (COL ’12). The political talk show is loosely based on shows like “Meet the Press.”

The program, which debuted this year, places a special focus on interviews and debates. In the past, they have featured a wide range of guests across the political spectrum, such as professor Maxwell Gross of the university’s Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding and members of the Georgetown Democrats and Republicans, for open debates and discussions. This year, former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine and Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) have agreed to make an appearance.

“We have had many esteemed people on our show who have done great things in the field, and we have made excellent, memorable shows,” Voorhees said. “I still find that Georgetown students who come on the show never cease to impress me, and they make for the best entertainment. Personally, I think they sound better than most of the people on MSNBC and CNN.”

Acheampong thinks that students like Voorhees and others at GUTV have the potential to succeed in the future.

“Those are the kinds of students who thrive here at Georgetown. Wherever they are in life, they are going to excel. I think that GUTV is just another one of those examples of an organization that can help students to excel. It’s a great stepping stone,” she said.