University Intervention Keeps Yearbook Afloat

MEAGAN KELLY/THE HOYA The Center for Student Programs will now manage production of the yearbook.
MEAGAN KELLY/THE HOYA
The Center for Student Programs will now manage production of the yearbook.

Ye Domesday Booke will continue to publish after being dropped by the Media Board as a student organization last month.

The yearbook, which has been printing since 1905, will now be sponsored directly by the Center for Student Programs, according to CSP Director Erika Cohen-Derr.

“I don’t think that the Media Board was comfortable designating and selecting leadership for the yearbook, but they saw there was value in it,” she said.

Due to declining interest and a dwindling staff, the Media Board voted to end the yearbook’s status as an organization under its purview with the intention that CSP would absorb the publication. Days before the decision, the board sent out an email encouraging students to apply to be co-editors of the tome.

Cohen-Derr said that about 10 students expressed interest in working for Ye Domesday Booke, and she plans to hold the first meeting for the organization this month. While organized under the CSP, the yearbook will remain student run. Other student groups, such as the Senior Class Council and General Program Board, are also considered administrative groups under the CSP.

According to Cohen-Derr, the switch will not entail any major changes to the organization, but the price of yearbooks will be reduced from $90 to $80 dollars.

“I will convene the students who are interested and help get them organized,” Cohen-Derr said, adding that she thought that 10 students would be enough to produce the yearbook in its typical format.

But concerns remain about the viability of the publication due to low interest.

“This is not the first year Ye Domesday Booke has lacked student interest, and if it is not a trend that reflects the overall demise of written publications, then it should be possible to improve recruitment,” transition editor Ciara Foldenauer (SFS ’14) wrote in an email. “From my understanding, the current amount of administrative support is sufficient, but student interest must improve in order to justify the time, money and effort of such a tradition.”