Ceremony Honors Veterans’ Sacrifices

LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA Students, faculty and veterans gathered on Copley Lawn to honor those who have served and are serving in the millitary.
LEONEL DE VELEZ/THE HOYA
Students, faculty and veterans gathered on Copley Lawn to honor those who have served and are serving in the millitary.

In honor of Veterans’ Day, the Georgetown University Student Veterans of America commemorated the service veterans and current members of the military Wednesday on Copley Lawn.

The event, co-sponsored by Georgetown University Alumni Association and the Reserve Officer Training Corp, featured ROTC student service members, the Marine Corps Drum and the Bugle Corps’ performance of “Commandment’sOwn.” The guest speaker, Brigadier General Kenneth Lee (LAW ’07), deputy commandant for aviation in the United States Marine Corps, gave the final address, reminding all those in attendance that the U.S. armed services are about protecting freedom. Lee underscored the importance of a continuing commitment to supporting the nation’s veterans, specifically through institutions of higher learning, like Georgetown, that help to reintegrate veterans into civilian life.

Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson closed the ceremony with the flag dedication, taking a moment of silence to honor those who have sacrificed their lives for others. Georgetown, The George Washington University and American University ROTC students were among those presenting the flag.

“This is one of the few professions where I like to believe that the reward received is greater than the sacrifice given,” Calvin Ogbun, a senior at GW, said.

Donna Hernandez (SFS ’13) attended the service in honor of her husband who is currently serving atQuantico Sentry in Virginia. Others came out of respect for their relatives and friends.

“[Service] is a sacrifice for both the family and the service member, which is why support is so important,” Danielle Lujan (COL ’13) said.

After the formal ceremony, a reception was held at the Wagner Alumni House, where students, alumni and veterans were able to interact.

“I think it’s really great when people come together and remember what serving in the military entails,” Mary Birdsall (NHS ’13), a ROTC member, said.

Several veteran attendants emphasized that the Georgetown community has warmly welcomed them and helped them utilize their military background.

“Coming to Georgetown out of the Marines Corps was a pivotal point for me. … The network of community and support has helped me to transition to where I am now,” said Margo Ellis, a second-year student in the School of Continuing Studies program and a Marine Corps veteran.

Colby Howard (SFS ’12), president of GUSVA, who served in the Marine Corps from 2000-2008, noted that veteran support at Georgetown has steadily increased over the past several years but that there is still more room to grow.

“Georgetown gave perspective to my experiences serving, and my experiences serving grounded the education I have received here. They have complemented each other, and I appreciate them both tremendously,” he said.