Classroom Turned Newsroom: The Fire This Time Returns to Campus

The Fire This Time, Georgetown University’s students of color news magazine, returned to newsstands on Tuesday after a lengthy hiatus – its team reminded of its mission and ready with a plan for success.

Short-staffed, editors of The Fire This Time decided last term they needed to overhaul the publication and coordinated with the university to offer a course titled “The Fire This Time Workshop,” taught by former Washington Post contributor Athelia Knight of the English department.

“[Knight has] helped a lot in terms of letting us know what we need to do to make a successful paper,” Managing Editor Alexandra Bledsoe (SFS ’12) said. “We meet and discuss story ideas . it’s a working newsroom.”

Some believe that the course, which currently meets twice a week, will allow the publication to overcome some of the challenges it has encountered in the past.

“I think it is going to breathe life into a publication that was definitely having some issues,” former Editor-in-Chief Yamiche Alcindor (COL ’09) said. “It will show people . how important it is to have a different point of view in the media.”

Alcindor spoke of the dependability of the publication’s new setup.

“Last year, production was more difficult because we had a really small staff. Now, with a full board and consistent contributors from the class, it has been easy to count on consistency in terms of production.”

According to Bledsoe, the publication will release two more issues this semester. It is still uncertain whether the course will be offered in the future.

“It will still be a student organization, but not necessarily still a class. That’s why one part of our class that is really important is teaching everyone how to do every part of the paper so that if we don’t have this class again, we can do it ourselves,” Bledsoe said.

Alcindor, who initially joined the publication in fall 2005, cited funding and leadership problems in the past.

“Every year the editor had to come up with creative ways to publish the paper . the heart of the paper was there but the structure wasn’t,” she said. “Then we came under the university and people didn’t understand what that meant. Then we had the resources, but not the people.

The Fire This Time was founded in spring 2000 following hate crimes motivated by race on campus.”