DC Will Consider Taxi Rate Increases

A proposed $0.66-per-mile fare increase for D.C. taxicabs could take effect within the next month.

The proposal was first submitted in December. It was amended earlier this month and is now being considered by the D.C. Taxicab Commission.

After revisions, the plan includes an increased per-mile rate of $2.16 from $1.50, an increased waiting time rate of $25 per hour from $15 and a 50-cent charge per piece of baggage handled by the driver. The starting rate will remain at $3.

“We thought that at airports where drivers put luggage in the trunk, they ought to be compensated for it,” D.C. Taxicab Commission Chairman Ron Linton said.

Linton said that reactions from passengers have been positive, but for some students, the increase in the per-mile rate will create challenges.

“Since we have no Metro stop and the [Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle] buses are running more and more infrequently, taxis are really important to students,” Craig Melcher (MSB ’13) said. “This fare increase will definitely make it more difficult to get around.”

The proposed changes will be voted on after a 30-day public comment period.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that the D.C. Council, not the D.C. Taxicab Commission, was considering the rate increase. The corrected version was posted at 12:56p.m. Wednesday afternoon.