GUSA Passes Resolution To Host Basketball On Campus

Citing the need for a better sense of community among Georgetown students, the Student Assembly passed a resolution last Wednesday encouraging “the appropriate university and athletic departments to make necessary steps in an effort to host three regular season (Men’s Basketball) home games for the 2003-04 season on campus in McDonough [Gymnasium].”

Representative Mike Lanzara (MSB ’05) introduced the resolution in an effort to boost attendance at regular season basketball games and give the Hoyas a home court advantage similar to the one enjoyed by Duke’s Cameron Crazies.

Recently installed ANC Commissioner and GUSA Representative Mike Glick (COL ’05) worked with Lanzara on the resolution. He sees the resolution as a way to create a more fan-friendly environment than the cavernous MCI Center.

“I grew up watching Hoya basketball,” Glick said. “I believe this resolution would lead to greater attendance of our men’s basketball games. Playing games on campus [would allow] students to identify with the team and the school can have far-reaching effects in terms of building a potent community,” Glick said in a Jan. 21 GUSA press release.

Proponents of the measure hope to gain the support of the student body and will begin circulating petitions this week throughout campus and at home basketball games.

Glick says that 1,500 signatures is a “reasonable goal” but that he anticipates strong support from the student body. The group would then take the petitions to the appropriate officials. “All we ask for is a fair hearing from the university administration,” he said.

“I can think of few feasible issues that more students can relate to. We know we have a long way to go but I was happy to earn the (GUSA) Assembly’s support and I look forward to working hard from here,” Lanzara said in the GUSA press release.