NSO Plans on Track as Director Search Continues

Although the planning for the 2012 New Student Orientation is well underway in its selection of coordinators, captains and advisers, the Center for Student Programs has not yet filled the position of assistant director of student programs and director of NSO.

The spot opened after Kathryn Kay left Georgetown to become director of orientation and leadership at the University of Utah in January.

According to Director of the Center for Student Programs Erika Cohen-Derr, the search for a replacement has attracted a large applicant pool. CSP is focusing on finding a candidate who can engage and collaborate well with the student body.

“A successful candidate for this job will demonstrate an understanding of the priorities and complexities of directing a New Student Orientation program …” Cohen Derr wrote in an email.

The position’s responsibilities include communicating with new students and their families, working with the five NSO student coordinators to recruit and train orientation staff and coordinating all beginning of the year activities. It also includes advising CSP student organizations, particularly the Lecture Fund.

According to Cohen-Derr, preparation for NSO 2012 has remained on schedule despite the vacancy.

This year’s team of NSO coordinators is comprised of five undergraduates and has already chosen this year’s captains and advisers.

“We have chosen our entire staff, and we are so excited to meet all of them in person on April 28 at full staff training,” student coordinator Matt Chung (COL ’14) wrote in an email.