Scholarship Promotes Diversity in Multimedia

Three Georgetown students received the 2013 Scott Weiss Scholarship, granted by the T. Howard Foundation, which aims to promote careers in multimedia and entertainment for the scholarship’s recipients.

The scholarship, awarded only to alumni of the foundation’s internship program, is intended to promote diversity.

This year, marketing major Breania Smith (MSB ’14), sports management master’s candidate Brandon Putnam (GRD ’14) and international studies major Rene Payan (SFS ’14) were among the 11 recipients from across the country.

Established in 1994, the organization has partnered with several prestigious media companies to provide undergraduate and graduate students with practical hands-on experience. The foundation created the scholarship 15 years ago.

“Across the country, T. Howard Foundation alumni are making an impact in the multimedia industry at all levels,” THF Founder, Chairman Emeritus and President & CEO of Speakeasy, Inc. Scott Weiss said in a press release. “Since our first class of 14 interns during the summer of 1995, we have been the launching pad for success for more than 700 young adults, including those who have reached the executive level at some of the most respected media companies in the world.”

The amount of the scholarship differs for each individual, but can reach up to $2,750. This year’s total awarded amount was $15,000.

“The purpose and goal of the scholarship is to continue the development of T. Howard alumnus through financial support,” Payan said. “When applying for the scholarship you must specify what you would use the money and how that will contribute to your professional growth.”

The financial aspect is of great importance, but even more valuable is the experience and resources the internship program provides.

“The biggest advantage of the T. Howard Foundation is the network and support provided to all interns and alumni,” Payan said. “Once you are a T. Howard intern you are always a part of the family and you get treated as such.”

The scholarship funds are not only used to cover tuition and textbook costs, but are also used to cover expenses necessary for furthering one’s multimedia and entertainment career.

“I will strategically divide my scholarship award amongst my tuition cost as a graduate student at Georgetown and career development opportunities, such as conferences sponsored by professional organizations and professional development workshops that will ultimately help further develop my career as a professional in the multimedia and entertainment industry,” Putnam said.

The Scott Weiss Scholarship is available to those who have acquired a favorable evaluation from the company host supervisor.

“When I help someone achieve their goals and aspirations they are then able to help someone else do the same,” Putnam said. “The T. Howard Foundation has enabled me to further spread my belief and continue to help other in the community.”

Smith could not be reached for comment.