SFS Dean to Join US State Department

BSFS.GEORGETOWN.EDU Kasper will leave the university at the end of the fall semester.
BSFS.GEORGETOWN.EDU
Kasper will leave the university at the end of the fall semester.

Bryan Kasper, an assistant dean of the School of Foreign Service, will leave the university for a position in the U.S. State Department at the end of the semester, according to SFS Director of Undergraduate Studies Mitch Kaneda.

Kasper is a first year student adviser and curricular dean for international politics majors. He has been at Georgetown since 1998 and with the SFS for six and a half years. Kasper previously worked in the Office of Student Affairs, Housing and Conference Services and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

“Dean Kasper has been the ‘brain, muscle and heart’ of the SFS Dean’s Office,” Kaneda wrote in an email to The Hoya. “He would resolve complex academic and student personal issues, while not hesitating to step up to tasks beyond the call of duty, at the same time as balancing … fairness in light of university rules and the need of the students.”

Kasper is responsible for all students in the international politics major. With 150 students per class, the major is the largest in the SFS, but students said Kasper was able to develop personal relationships as he helped them formulate their schedules and explore academic options.

“He gave you the information you needed and wanted to hear,” Michael Hogan (SFS ’14), an international politics major with a concentration in security studies, said. “He made the declaration process really straightforward so you [could] walk yourself through.”

Kasper has represented the SFS on the university’s Bias Reporting Team, the Overseas Study Advisory Committee, the Student Conduct Judicial Hearing Board and the University Honor Council.

“We will miss Dean Kasper greatly, but at the same time wish him the very best as he pursues his professional interest in the U.S. government,” Kaneda wrote in an email sent to SFS undergraduates Wednesday.

The SFS Dean’s Office will appoint an interim dean to take over Kasper’s duties as he transitions out of his role, according to Kaneda.