Tree Falls Outside University Front Gates, Damages Car

COURTESY OLIVIA ENOS A tree fell outside the front gates during heavy storms Monday evening, damaging the rear end of Olivio Enos' (GRD '17) car.
COURTESY OLIVIA ENOS
A tree fell outside the front gates during heavy storms Monday evening, damaging the rear end of Olivia Enos’ (GRD ’17) car.

A tree outside the front gates fell onto the rear end of a student’s parked car at around 9 p.m. Monday evening amid severe thunderstorms in the area.

The car, a Honda Accord that belonged to Olivia Enos (GRD ’17), was parked on O Street NW when the tree fell. No one was injured in the incident.

The Metropolitan Police Department and the Georgetown University Police Department responded to the fall, closing the block where the tree fell with road flares and traffic cones.

According to a GUPD officer on the scene, the tree was one of almost a dozen trees or large limbs to fall in the District tonight. Road crews arrived to clear the site of the accident.

The tree was split halfway up the trunk and lying across the road. The middle of the trunk showed dark, rotted wood compared to the fresh, split wood on the edges, suggesting rot or disease along with wind and rain as the reasons for the fall.

Enos said she found the damaged vehicle upon returning from her final day of class of the semester. Enos said she was glad no one was hurt.

“I’m really grateful no one was in the car or that anybody else’s car got hit and that it was just mine,” Enos said. “You know what, at the end of the day, God is good and nobody got hurt, so I’m grateful.”