Vittles Robbed of Cigarettes

Fifty cartons of cigarettes were stolen from Vital Vittles at 3:37 p.m. Monday, according to the Department of Public Safety.

The incident was the fourth in a string of robberies at the on-campus convenience store this school year and the third involving cigarettes.

In a public safety alert emailed to the campus community Monday evening, DPS reported that a suspect forced his way into Vital Vittles’storage locker and stole the cigarettes.

Alexander Pon (COL ’12), the president and CEO of Students of Georgetown, Inc., was unsure of the value of the stolen goods.

The suspect is described in the PSA as a 5-foot-7 to 5-foot-8 Hispanic male with short black hair and a goatee. He was wearing a red shirt, black jacket, black jeans and black shoes.

Pon said that footage from Vital Vittles’ security cameras has been submitted to the Metropolitan Police Department for further review.

“From the security footage, it doesn’t appear to be a Georgetown student,” Pon said.

The first of the three burglaries was reported Sept. 4 and involved the theft of 90 cartons of cigarettes. Two other robberies occurred at the store in December; more than $200 in cash was stolen from an office Dec. 1, and over $1,500 in cigarettes was stolen Dec. 6.

No suspects have been arrested in connection with any of the thefts.

Pon theorized that the small size and relatively high value of cigarettes could have made them a target for robbers.

Prior to the December thefts, The Corp had taken new security measures at Vital Vittles, including the installation of security cameras.

“[Despite the robberies,] I am confident that employees are safe,” Pon said.

He added that additional security measures would be taken following this latest incident, although he declined to disclose specifics of these measures.