Fighting Dogma With Fact

An attempt at free speech and the exercise of gay rights at Catholic University of America was put down this week in the form of a demand by university officials to postpone a screening of “Milk,” intended to mark LGBTQ Awareness Month.

“Milk” is based on the true events of the first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk of San Francisco, and is consistently heralded as a triumphant portrayal of the genesis of the modern gay rights movement in the United States.

The event, planned by CUA College Democrats to celebrate the beginning of October’s LGBTQ Awareness Month, invited speculation by administrators that the event struck a tone of advocacy rather than the educational premises under which the event was first programmed. Because “Milk” was screened at CUA in 2011, the point of contention for this event rested with the connection to the month of awareness.

By nature, awareness is different from advocacy. Advocacy demonstrates support for a certain position or a change in policy. Awareness, on the other hand, seeks to educate, start dialogue and uncover truths and facts. Whether or not the CUA College Democrats support marriage equality, gays in the military or any number of gay rights issues, “Milk” chronicles the story of an important historical figure. Any showing of “Milk” is in the true vein of an awareness month.

However, even if those at Catholic University have a different conception of the difference between awareness and advocacy, universities have long stood as institutions that use academia to promote informed advocacy among students and faculty. As its own mission statement claims, Catholic University wishes to create an atmosphere where “freedom is fostered and … the only constraint upon truth is truth itself.”

Surely, freedom of expression and exploration are among the most foundational aspects of this atmosphere, and dismissing any form of advocacy — for LGBTQ groups or otherwise — is a clear violation of that code.

It is this attitude that differentiates Georgetown from Catholic University. In many aspects, Georgetown students and faculty alike have made a concerted effort to untangle such dogmatic attitudes from both their worldview and their faith.

As student activists at Georgetown have shown, LGBTQ activism and Catholicism can comfortably coexist and, in the right hands, supporteach other. The Catholic University College Democrats are welcome to watch “Milk” on the Hilltop.