Leo’s Secret Recipe

There’s an enigma wrapped in a mystery at Georgetown, and it’s being served at O’Donovan Hall.

Curiosity about the ingredients and preparation that go into dining hall cooking inevitably leads some students to consume the food with skepticism — or to shun it altogether. It doesn’t help matters that Leo’s was cited for eight health code violations this September. Students deserve greater transparency and would benefit from having Leo’s recipes made more readily available.

Food labels in the dining hall identify potential allergens like soy or gluten and offer limited nutritional information. Yet just as commercial foodstuffs include a comprehensive list of ingredients on the packaging, so should Leo’s provide specific details of its cooking ingredients. Such information is available online but is often hard to find (hint: you won’t find it under the “nutrition” tab), and full ingredient lists are not given for all dishes.

Burying this information on an obscure Web page may be a start, but it’s not satisfactory. Few students have the foresight to thoroughly research the menu options in anticipation of a trip to Leo’s, and those who do will find that listings are patchy. It would be well worth the effort to print menus with dish ingredients and complete nutritional content that would be available in the dining hall for student viewing. There were once computers in Leo’s that provided this information, but they recently disappeared.

As a general rule, more information is better when it comes to food consumption — for students’ health and for their peace of mind. There have been enough troubling revelations about what goes on in Leos’ kitchens this semester, and when it comes to food ingredients, students should be spared the suspense.