Not Easy Living Green

2459144451 (2)In the housing lottery, the last rooms to go — besides Village C East — are usually in LXR. So it’s unsurprising that barely any students decided to give up their chance at better housing to live in the Greenhouse Living Learning Community on the dorm’s fourth floor next year.

In its first incarnation this year, the Greenhouse LLC attracted three students and one resident assistant. The Office of Residential Living set a minimum of 10 participants in order for the LLC to be renewed, but only three students signed up.

Sustainability is a common passion among Georgetown students, whether through GU Fossil Free or Georgetown Energy, and there are surely more than 10 students interested in living in an environmentally friendly manner. However, it appears that the poor location of the Greenhouse community justifiably deterred applicants. To remedy this, the Office of Residential Living should reserve higher quality housing for LLCs, especially those that are just getting off the ground.

LLCs are excellent educational tools that enrich campus by allowing students with similar interests to live together. Students who choose to orient their lives around a specific issue or passion should be encouraged to do so by the university, and students who take the necessary initiative to create a community surrounding a new passion particularly deserve that support.

Established LLCs for interests like French language and culture, Jewish living and social justice succeed partly because they are in desirable — or at least not undesirable — housing in Copley Hall, Henle Village or the Southwest Quad.

With a better location, the Greenhouse LLC could have ended up among their ranks. It’s a shame it won’t get the same chance to flourish.