Shortsighted Fans Are the Crisis at Hand

To the Editor:

I’m not much of a letter writer, but the editorial, “A Program’s Identity Crisis” (The Hoya, A2, March 22, 2011), was so misguided as to deserve a response.

I can only presume the writer(s) are somewhere in the Class of 2011 or 2012, which means surely they forget where this program was seven years ago. Talk to the class of 2005 about being the only class in 30 years not to make a single NCAA tournament appearance. Talk to those of us who sat through a 13-15 season in 2004.

The editorial you published reeks of shortsightedness as well as a lack of experience about what it actually means to be a Georgetown basketball fan. We are four years removed from a Final Four appearance and suddenly we’re a program in crisis? I ask you how many Final Fours we made after Patrick Ewing graduated and whether the subsequent 15 years required us to question the direction of the program?

I know you’re all disappointed, as are us alumni, but drop the Chicken Little routine. Any senior on your staff has seen a Big East title, a Big East championship appearance and three NCAA appearances. Not to go Joe Lang on you, and if you don’t know who that is you probably shouldn’t be writing the editorial you did, but that’s a damn good record and one we should be proud of, not ashamed of.

I understand it is 2011 and an era of instant gratification in sports where what-have-you-done-for-me-lately is the prevailing standard, but we are Georgetown and we are above that. We measure our program by a different standard than simply how we did this year or even how we did the last four years.

So, call for John Thompson III’s head, just realize that when you do, the bulk of us who have been through the history of the program a bit more than you simply roll our eyes.