The Right Cause for Delay

When the Office of Residential Living undertook a pilot renovation project last year in Henle Village, hopes were high that sorely needed renovations would take place.

Residential Living was correct in its assessment that conditions could be improved, and when they reported the project went well, it seemed an upgrade was well within our grasp. Residential Living, however, was also correct in its recent assessment that an upgrade will have to wait, as anything that has the potential to detract resources from the variety of construction projects on campus should be sidelined until they are finished.

New kitchens and lights in Henle, no doubt, would be welcome additions to the living spaces of all Henle residents. But the impact of these renovations pales in comparison to the impact of current construction projects like the Northeast Triangle and old Jesuit residence, which affect all students — especially the nearby Henle residents.

The merits of these projects — and their goal of bringing student living back on campus — have been explored by this editorial board at length, and just as they are of a high enough priority to warrant the obvious inconveniences they inherently present, they are also of a high enough priority to overshadow any potentially detracting projects.

It is not that Henle apartments do not need renovations — they do. And it is not that Residential Living should approach renovations with less urgency than these new constructions — it shouldn’t. But the legal requirements relating to housing a threshold number of students on campus by fall of next year are serious, and all resources that can be devoted to the cause should be devoted to the cause.

This commitment takes the shape, no doubt, of continued due diligence to prevent further delays with the Northeast Triangle and the renovations of the old Jesuit residence and the hotel. If, in order to meet the requirements of the 2010 Campus Plan agreement, other projects like Henle renovations must be put on hold, then this certainly represents the best of the bad options.