MARTINEZ ADDIEGO: A Tradition of Human Dignity

While Jesuit values are often discussed at Georgetown University, our community would be well-served by understanding another set of teachings that transcends barriers of religious identity to acknowledge the worth of every person.

Catholic social teaching draws upon Christ’s teachings of compassion to create a moral groundwork that inspires actions of love toward others. Derived from the belief that everyone is created in God’s image and likeness, CST professes a dignity inherent to the human condition and independent of race, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status or ability. CST attempts to find the equilibrium between a person’s rights and care for the common good.

At Georgetown, many of us grapple with this balance as we begin to think critically about the world around us. Looking at the nine core values of our Jesuit university, we see undertones of CST, something most students have already adopted without realizing.

Cura personalis — care of the whole person — requires viewing each other as more than just people fulfilling a role. Related to the CST principle of the life and dignity of the human person, it encourages a thoughtful concern that meets people where they are, allowing them to grow toward becoming the best version of themselves.

Furthermore, Georgetown welcomes students of any faith tradition, encouraging interreligious understanding with its diversity of communities and chaplains. Our university commands a respect for all religions based on CST’s call to family, community and participation. Georgetown serves as a safe haven but also encourages us to reach beyond our comfort zones and interact with those of different backgrounds.

I have had the pleasure of engaging in conversation with Imam Yahya Hendi on multiple occasions, and he always reminds me that he is an imam for Georgetown students, not only Muslim students. Hendi has allowed me to see many parallels between Catholicism and Islam, which in turn has opened my eyes to the needs of those outside my faith tradition.

Georgetown’s daily exposure to interreligious dialogue and the unique care we have for one another are possible because of the foundation of respect for the dignity of the human person. In these ways, CST has molded the Jesuit identity ingrained in our campus; by understanding CST, we can find an even deeper purpose to how we treat others here at Georgetown.

CST values do not fit evenly between partisan lines. Rather, CST expands upon the intrinsic worth of the human person to construct pillars that fortify humanity. It forces us to respond when a person’s dignity has been violated, such as in cases of sexual assault. It mandates a care for the most vulnerable, particularly unborn children. It encourages us to offer aid to the homeless, while advocating for laws that lower unemployment and promote fair wages. We are called to apply these teachings to our campus by exploring how to better support survivors, pregnant and parenting students, and underpaid university employees. CST is not merely about being Catholic but also about loving everyone as best we can.

While CST’s applications extend beyond the Catholic community to all members of a Jesuit institution, it cannot be entirely divorced from the Catholic faith; CST has its origins in modelling the behavior of Jesus Christ, who had an unprecedented care for the most vulnerable in society. Created out of goodness and love toward perfect unity with God, we all have an obligation to live not for ourselves, but for others, with the constant reminder that each person is beautifully and perfectly made.

Flo Martinez Addiego is a junior in the College. Into the Feminine Genius appears online every other Wednesday.