BASEBALL | Depleted Staff Faces Tigers

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

The hits keep coming, but not the type Georgetown’s baseball team was hoping to see. The team had yet another game cancelled this week due to inclement weather. The Hoyas (9-12) were scheduled to travel to Baltimore on Wednesday to take on Coppin State, but ultimately did not make the trip.

Weather issues have been a constant theme of the spring for Georgetown. Prior to the Wednesday game the Hoyas had already been forced to postpone three games this season. In addition to the lack of games, Georgetown has been hindered by missed practice time. The rain and the snow have taken their toll on the Hoyas and would seem to be a leading cause for the team’s inconsistency throughout the season.

Things are looking brighter this weekend however, as the team will travel to Louisiana to take on Grambling State (6-17, 3-7 SWAC). The three-game series will begin on Friday and finish on Sunday.

Grambling State has had a rough season thus far, but the team enters the series having won three of its past four games. Hitting has keyed the hot streak for the Tigers, who have scored at least eight runs in each game. If the Hoyas are able to silence the Tigers’ bats, they stand a chance to win the game.

In addition to postponements, inconsistency has been another theme of Georgetown’s season. The Hoyas have alternated going on short winning and losing streaks, standing in a range just above and below .500 all year.

Head Coach Pete Wilk is looking to this series as an opportunity to get the Hoyas back on track.

“We absolutely look to this series to gain some momentum,” Wilk said.

Georgetown comes into the series after having dropped two of three games to Towson last weekend. The Hoyas took the first game of the series 6-2 but struggled with pitching in the next two outings, allowing at least eight runs in each game.

The starters in both games were unable to go more than 4 2/3 innings in each game, leaving the bullpen with a lot of work to do. Georgetown’s relievers were unable to keep the Hoyas afloat as they surrendered seven earned runs in the second game of the series and three runs in the third. The Hoyas lost the games 10-2 and 8-4, respectively.

Injuries have forced Georgetown to play a higher number of freshmen than usual this year with mixed results.

“[The freshmen] have done well at times and they have been freshmen at times,” Wilk said.“It usually pays off to get experience. The more times you have been there helps. That’s human nature.”

The injuries have taken an especially high toll on the Hoyas’ pitching staff, forcing Wilk to come up with some creative solutions.

“We have to manage games [differently]. For instance, last weekend we had to lead [freshman pitcher] Joe Bialkowski into a beating because we had to be lined up for the next day,” Wilk said.

Injuries have also led to a high degree of uncertainty concerning who will take the mound for the Hoyas this weekend. Other than freshman David Ellingson, Wilk is unsure who he will start.

“I can’t even tell you who is going to start Sunday. It depends on what happens Friday and Saturday,” Wilk said. “If you think about it, take a step back and look at it, that’s a tremendous impact.”

In addition to pitching struggles, Georgetown had trouble scoring runs all weekend. Sophomore catcher Nick Collins and senior first baseman Steve Anderson have led the team in hitting this year, with batting averages of .337 and .333; the Hoyas will need them to step up this weekend if they are to have a successful road trip.

The series will mark the last non-conference set of the season for the Hoyas. After a game against George Washington next week, Georgetown is slated to begin conference play with a three-game series against Xavier. It will be those games and the ones that follow them that ultimately determine the Hoyas’ postseason fate.