Baseball | Hoyas Build Six-Game Streak

Following an impressive five-game winning streak on the team’s spring break trip to the Snowbird Baseball Classic in Florida, the Georgetown baseball team (10-7) embarked on a stretch of five straight home games on Tuesday with a 5-4 win against Yale (0-8) in the first game of this week’s homestand. In a closely fought matchup, the Hoyas overcame the Bulldogs on a walk-off home run by junior outfielder Beau Hall.

“I actually thought to myself before I came up to bat that I’ve never hit a walk-off before in my career,” Hall said. “[I was] just going up looking to get on base, get a good pitch to hit, get the next guy up and keep our chances alive.”

Hall referred to his game-winning home run — his first of the season — as “one of the coolest feelings I’ve ever been a part of.”

Hall’s late-game heroics continue a personal hot streak for the hard-hitting outfielder, who was recently named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

The dramatic finish to the game against Yale continues a hot stretch for the Hoyas, who have not lost since March 9 against Western Michigan.

“The bottom line is these guys don’t quit and they keep battling, and I’m very proud of that,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.
As the team continues to find success on the field, Hall explained that the team is focusing on keeping its composure.

“A five-game winning streak is cool and all … but nobody’s pressing. It’s a very loose and confident atmosphere,” Hall said.

Georgetown began a four-game home series and continued its winning momentum against Princeton (2-7) yesterday when the Hoyas defeated the Tigers in a 10-inning 4-3 win.

Sophomore shortstop Chase Bushor led the Hoyas with four hits, including a walk-off single in the tenth inning in Thursday’s win. Bushor also hit a two-run home run in the sixth inning to start the scoring.

Senior pitcher Matt Smith gave up just two hits and one run in eight innings on the mound in the win. After junior pitcher David Ellingson gave up two runs in the ninth inning without recording an out, senior pitcher Tim Davis pitched two scoreless innings to earn his second win of the season.

Slugging first baseman Nick Hernandez leads the Tigers on offense. Hernandez brought a seven-game hitting streak into the series, but recorded one hit in Thursday’s game. Wilk noted before the start of the series that he will rely on the team’s starting pitching to contain Hernandez.

“It’s always nice to have Matt Smith starting us off. It all starts with the guy on the hill. He, followed by [junior pitcher] Simon [Mathews], I don’t know a better 1-2 in the league,” Wilk said.

The Hoyas will seek to extend their six-game winning streak during this series, their last at home until April. Hall noted that the team is poised for victory entering the weekend.

“We go out expecting to win, expecting to play well. … We’re going to keep this winning streak going — we’re the better team and if we stay focused we can win this series,” Hall said.

The second game of the Georgetown-Princeton series will begin at 3 p.m. today at Shirley Povich Field in Rockville, Md.