BASKETBALL | NBA 2020 Mock Draft

1 – Minnesota Timberwolves, Anthony Edwards, Wing, University of Georgia

Minnesota could take either LaMelo Ball or Edwards with this year’s top pick, but Edwards makes more sense for them. D’Angelo Russell has shown he thrives with the ball in his hands, and Minnesota is terrible on defense; Ball would move Russell to the off-guard spot and projects as a worse defender than Edwards. While maybe not an immediate star, Edwards has the potential to be a very good NBA scorer and possibly an All-NBA player. Standing at 6’5” with a 6’10” wingspan, Edwards showcased his scoring prowess on a subpar Georgia team, averaging 19.1 points per game, albeit with inefficient shooting numbers. His athleticism and one-on-one game are off the charts, but he will have to improve his playmaking and shooting to avoid an Andrew Wiggins-esque progression for Minnesota. -Brennan

2 – Golden State Warriors, James Wiseman, Big, University of Memphis

For a team with championship aspirations, this coming season with the return of two-time MVP Stephen Curry and perennial all-star Klay Thompson, a big man is an obvious need for San Francisco alongside wings Andrew Wiggins and Draymond Green. Wiseman brings a 7’1” stature with a 7’6” wingspan, ready to make an impact for San Francisco at both ends of the court, despite minimal college experience — Wiseman declared for the NBA draft after just three games at Memphis. Wiseman is strong enough to play bully ball on offense with a set of old-school post moves, and his wingspan sets him up to be an elite rim protector in San Francisco. -Wexelblatt

3 – Charlotte Hornets, LaMelo Ball, Guard, Illawarra Hawks

An organization as directionless as they come, Charlotte needs the best player remaining at pick number three. They have been puttering around near the bottom of the standings and are in desperate need of any player who can bring life to the organization. Ball, a 6’7” guard who may have the best court awareness of this class, became a basketball sensation long before declaring for the draft. His flashy playmaking and impressive range should be enough to warrant Charlotte taking him at #3. -Shah

4 – Chicago Bulls, Tyrese Haliburton, Guard, Iowa State University

Chicago could go in any direction here, and Haliburton is possibly the best player on the board. The do-it-all point guard was excellent in his sophomore year at Iowa State, averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds and 6.5 assists per contest with great shooting numbers. He can get inside and shoot it well, is a very good playmaker, especially out of the pick and roll, and projects as a good defender due to his size (6’5” with a 6’7.5” wing span) and speed. The downsides of his game are a lack of elite athleticism, making it unclear if his scoring will translate, and his awkward shot form, limiting his off-the-dribble juice, despite his good shooting numbers. Even so, his floor is a dependable NBA starter, and his ceiling could be as high as an All-Star. -Brennan

5 – Cleveland Cavaliers, Deni Avdija, Forward, Maccabi Tel Aviv

A wing is the clear necessity for Cleveland, who has invested significant draft capital in undersized guards Collin Sexton and Darius Garland, and has two former-All-Star big men in Andre Drummond and Kevin Love, both of whom may be difficult to trade with their large  contracts. Avdija can make an immediate impact alongside Kevin Porter Jr. and Cedi Osman at the wing, with professional experience playing for two seasons on one of the best international teams. He has a great basketball IQ and, despite only taking 3.6 shots per game with Maccabi, the potential is clear for him to become a great scorer for years to come. -Wexelblatt

6 – Atlanta Hawks, Devin Vassell, Wing, Florida State University

Vassell seems to fit the mold of the player every team could use in the modern NBA. He nearly doubled his three-point attempts in his sophomore year at Florida State while maintaining a  40% clip, and his activity on defense disrupted guards and forwards alike. Atlanta, who seem prepared to build around Trae Young, Cam Reddish and John Collins, could benefit tremendously from a wing who is eager to shoot the ball and willing to make up for the mishaps of his less defensively inclined teammates. Though Vassell’s 6.3 two-point attempts a game indicate an unwillingness to create his own shot, he should still find a place to thrive with up-and-coming Atlanta. – Shah

7 – Detroit Pistons, Killian Hayes, Guard, Ulm

As a team constantly teetering between a lottery pick and a battle for the eighth seed in the East, Detroit’s best bet will be to pick the best available player — Frenchman Killian Hayes. Detroit’s lack of quality on their roster will compel them to take Hayes, a 6’5” playmaker who can get significant reps on a team that is neither ready to make a deep run in the playoffs nor tank in the upcoming season. With a 176-pound frame and a 6’8” wingspan, Hayes is a tough off-ball defender capable of guarding four positions. His shooting numbers — 29.4% from 3 — won’t impress anyone, but his precise passing and savvy pick-and-roll maneuvers make him an excellent fit alongside power forward Blake Griffin. -Baldari

8 – New York Knicks, Isaac Okoro, Wing, Auburn University

New York needs just about everything, but defense may be at the top of their list of priorities, and Okoro may be the best defender in the draft. At 6’6” with a 6’8.5” wingspan and elite strength and athleticism, Okoro fits the bill of a modern multi-positional defender in today’s NBA. He’s no slouch on offense either, using his off-the-charts athleticism to be an excellent finisher at the rim and good slasher to boot. The rest of his offensive game is a work in progress. He has little in the way of playmaking, averaging just as many turnovers as assists, shooting a poor 28% from the three, and showing little to no feel for a mid-range game either. While his offensive game may never be great, Okoro’s defense makes him certain to be a helpful NBA role player at the very least. -Brennan

9 – Washington Wizards, Onyeka Okongwu, Big, University of Southern California

A First-Team All-Pac-12 selection as a freshman, Okongwu has the potential to be the center that Washington desperately needs if it hopes to make the playoffs in 2021. Bouncy and dominant in the paint, Okongwu could become Washington’s point guard John Wall’s favorite target out of the pick and roll. At 6’10”, he may lack the traditional height of an NBA center, but his athleticism and elite shot-blocking (2.7 BPG at USC) make him a highly switchable plus defender. On a Washington team with All-Stars John Wall and Bradley Beal in the backcourt, Okongwu will be an energizer at the five who will convert easy buckets on offense and swat shots on the other end. -Baldari

10 – Phoenix Suns, Obi Toppin, Wing, University of Dayton

The 2020 National College Player of the Year Obi Toppin may have more accolades than any of his fellow draftees. He should fare well with Phoenix, who were ousted from the NBA bubble despite a perfect 8-0 record. With Deandre Ayton roaming the paint, Phoenix is set with its center for the future, but they could benefit from a forward like Toppin. While Toppin may struggle as a defender, he could contribute in all other facets of the game. He shot nearly 40% from beyond the arc last year and scored at will around the rim, showing impressive versatility on the offensive side of the ball. He would join Devin Booker, Mikal Bridges and Ayton in Phoenix to contribute to a young team hungry for their first playoff appearance since 2009-10. -Shah

11 — San Antonio Spurs, Aleksej Pokusevski, Big, Serbia

The youngest player in this draft, Pokusevski could be a positive long-term investment for a team looking to return to the playoffs after missing them for the first time since 1997. The Serbian weighs only 201 pounds at 7 feet tall, so he will need to bulk up significantly to have any chance of holding his own defensively. On a team with Jakob Poeltl and LaMarcus Aldridge, Pokusevski will not see significant minutes in his first season, but if he is able to develop a consistent shooting stroke to compliment his three-point volume (4.4 attempts per game), he could be a valuable stretch 5 for years to come. San Antonio loves international prospects, and Pokusevski will join Croatian Luka Samanic (19th overall, 2019) as the second consecutive player from the Balkans selected by San Antonio in the first round. -Baldari

12 – Sacramento Kings, Saddiq Bey, Wing, Villanova University

With De’Aaron Fox as Sacramento’s best player, a speedy point guard who can score and pass effectively, putting another shooter and stout defender alongside Buddy Hield on the wing would do wonders for the team’s balance going forward. While Sacramento could also use another big man to pair with Marvin Bagley III, Saddiq Bey will fit better at both ends of the court and a better all-around player than Precious Achiuwa, the best big man still on the board, who would be a bit of a reach at 12. Averaging better than 16 points per game in a strong Big East conference signals Bey can be a great scorer, and he will be ready to fit seamlessly into Sacramento’s defensive scheme. -Wexelblatt

13 – New Orleans Pelicans, Patrick Williams, Wing, Florida State University

The counting stats won’t stand out for Williams, a one-and-done standout from a deep Florida State team, where he averaged just 22.5 minutes per game. Williams can be a very efficient scorer and is a freak athlete, exactly what New Orleans needs without a true center left on the board worthy of a lottery pick. Williams provides an ability to score at all three levels, which is similar to the contributions New Orleans already gets from All-Star Brandon Ingram, but a team can never have too much offensive versatility, and playmaking is not a need with guards Jrue Holiday and Lonzo Ball still on the team. -Wexelblatt

14 – Boston Celtics (from Memphis Grizzlies), RJ Hampton, Guard, New Zealand Breakers

Boston will likely be looking for a backup point guard with their first of three first round picks this year, should they not trade it away. With Kemba Walker already 30 years old and experiencing knee issues over the course of the past season, Boston needs to work on contingency plans for floor generals, knowing whoever serves as backup now, alongside 2019 first-round pick Romeo Langford, will receive great mentorship over the next three years while Walker remains under contract. Hampton fills a need as an explosive scorer with nearly nine points per game in only 20 nightly minutes in Australia’s National Basketball League, while also being a stout enough defender to avoid sacrificing any aspect of Boston’s defensive scheme, which gave them the fifth-best defensive rating in the NBA last season. -Wexelblatt

15 – Orlando Magic, Tyrese Maxey, Guard, University of Kentucky

Orlando has been looking for an impact guard for years now, and Maxey is the best one available at this point in the draft. He may be limited as a passer and stand at only 6’3”, but his many ways to score make his floor a microwave bench scorer. -Brennan

16 – Portland Trailblazers, Aaron Nesmith, Wing, Vanderbilt University

A sophomore standout at Vandy, Nesmith projects as a 3-and-D wing because of his three-point marksmanship — 52.2% on 8.2 3-point attempts in 2019-20 — and gritty perimeter defense. He’s not renowned for his athleticism, but at 6’6” with a 6’10” wingspan, he has the measurables to become a more switchable defender in the future. -Baldari

17 – Minnesota Timberwolves, Cole Anthony, Guard, University of North Carolina

Anthony was one of the top prospects in this class when he began his tenure at North Carolina before a knee injury derailed his past season. If he can put together the same performances he had before his injury, he would be the best player remaining at this point in the draft. -Shah

18 – Dallas Mavericks, Josh Green, Wing, University of Arizona

Dallas is looking to begin competing for titles earlier than expected due to Luka Doncic’s meteoric rise to superstardom, and Green is a guy that can help them out right away. He’s an impact defender with good size who can also knock down threes. Green is a solid 3-and-D guy for now and could be even more down the line due to his athleticism. -Brennan

19 – Brooklyn Nets (from Philadelphia 76ers), Precious Achiuwa, Big, University of Memphis

The AAC Player of the Year, Achiuwa projects as a rim-running center with immense potential on defense. Although he is undersized (6’9”) for a traditional paint-dominant center, the Nigerian is a dominant rebounder and ferocious shot-blocker, suggesting he could become a valuable rotation big for championship-aspiring Brooklyn. -Baldari

20 – Miami Heat, Kira Lewis Jr., Guard, University of Alabama

Lewis Jr. provides scoring punch (18.5 PPG) and pick-and-roll playmaking as a backup point guard for a Miami team angling for another championship push. Lewis Jr. (36.2% from 3) is not quite on par with Miami’s other shooters, but his agility and propensity for steals (1.8 SPG) suggests he could counteract sharpshooters Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro’s defensive limitations. -Baldari

21 – Philadelphia 76ers, Nico Mannion, Guard, University of Arizona

Philadelphia has a lot of holes and a number of structural quirks that go against the grain of the NBA. If Mannion can deliver on his potential as a guard who can score at all three levels and a willing, if not imposing, defender, then he should be able to contribute great upside on a playoff team trying to get over the hump. -Shah

22 – Denver Nuggets (from Houston Rockets), Desmond Bane, Wing, Texas Christian University

Bane can help shore up Denver’s defensive woes while also helping their spacing; he shot 43% from three during his 4-year college career. Not only that, Bane is a ready-made role player, having already earned his stripes while playing four years at TCU. His ceiling isn’t high, but Denver needs impact guys now. -Brennan

23 – Utah Jazz, Jalen Smith, Wing, University of Maryland

Jalen Smith emerged as a top prospect in his second year at Maryland, breaking out as a scorer, rebounder, shot-blocker and shooter. He will almost certainly be the best remaining prospect at the 23rd pick and should have little trouble adjusting to the pace and talent of the NBA. -Shah

24 – Milwaukee Bucks (from Indiana Pacers), Tyrell Terry, Guard, Stanford University

Milwaukee’s lack of guards who can create their own shot and shoot threes was exposed again in this year’s playoffs, and Terry could be the answer to their problems. While many teams will be scared off by his height (6’2”) and slight frame (160 pounds), the Bucks can hide him on defense and cannot look past his shooting ability: Terry shot 41% from three on 4.9 attempts per game (many off the dribble) along with 89% from the line in his lone season at Stanford. -Brennan

25 – Oklahoma City Thunder, Robert Woodard, Wing, Mississippi State University

Woodard may not be the most exciting player remaining, but as an impressive athlete with a lanky yet lean frame, he’s a great late first-round pick for any organization. Considering Oklahoma City’s abundance of guards in varying stages of their careers, from Chris Paul to Luguentz Dort to Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, and serviceable big men in Steven Adams and Nerlens Noel, this new addition of Woodard should help the group. -Shah

26 – Boston Celtics, Jaden McDaniels, Big, University of Washington

At this point, Boston will start to fill the biggest hole on their roster — the frontcourt. McDaniels is one of the most physically imposing players in the draft, with a 6’9” frame and freakish athleticism, enabling him to be one of the PAC-12’s more consistent scorers, on his way to 13 points per game last season. -Wexelblatt

27 – New York Knicks (from Los Angeles Clippers), Theo Maledon, Guard, ASVEL

The French 19-year-old is a true point guard, can shoot it relatively well and looks to be a plus on defense. He likely won’t make much of an impact early, but look for him to at least be a solid role player down the line. -Brennan

28 – Los Angeles Lakers, Tre Jones, Guard, Duke University

Without a major hole to fill at any position, Los Angeles’ front office would be smart to draft Jones, a traditionally sized point guard who can contribute as a secondary playmaker. His elite defensive abilities (ACC Defensive POY, 1.8 SPG) along with his self-effacing attitude will bode well for a team with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, two larger-than-life superstars. -Baldari 

29 – Toronto Raptors, Malachi Flynn, Guard, San Diego State University

Flynn is one of the draft’s purest scorers, a true floor general who can score at all three levels and is never afraid to shoot. Should Fred VanVleet leave in free agency this offseason, there will be a sizable hole to fill, and Flynn can fill it. Flynn has improved his scoring considerably over his three years at San Diego State, jumping from 9.7 to 15.8 to 17.6 points per game. -Wexelblatt

30 – Boston Celtics (from Milwaukee Bucks), Leandro Bolmaro, Wing, FC Barcelona

Having already filled its needs at big and backup point guard earlier in the first round, Boston’s general manager will likely turn to Bolmaro, an Argentine Italian project who is still a few years away from being ready for the NBA, but whose impact potential is clear. Bolmaro can score consistently, has high basketball IQ and a 6’8” frame which could let him play small forward in the NBA, his most natural traditional position. Fortunately, Bolmaro has already shown the ability to score consistently against some of Europe’s toughest competition. -Wexelblatt