FIELD HOCKEY | Big East Cellar Dwellers Clash

The Georgetown field hockey team (2-7, 0-1 Big East) will play two games in New Jersey this weekend, taking on Big East rival Rutgers (1-7, 0-2 Big East) and Monmouth (7-4). These matchups will be the Hoyas’ final road games before returning to the District next weekend for their first home game since Sept. 18.

The Hoyas will take on Rutgers this afternoon in a battle between two struggling teams. The Scarlet Knights won their first game of the season before dropping seven in a row and got their second win in their most recent game against Bucknell. Rutgers, entering the heart of its Big East schedule, is looking for a vital win to keep its current momentum.

Rutgers averages 1.5 goals per game but will have to get past Georgetown junior goalie Briana Pereira. Pereira’s 52 saves this season give her the second-best mark in the Big East.

The biggest threat Rutgers presents to Georgetown is its balanced offense. The Scarlet Knights do not have a standout, but have several players who are all capable of contributing offensively.

If Georgetown plays a strong offensive game, they should be able to come out with a win on Friday. The Blue and Gray have history on their side, having won the teams’ last two meetings.

“We beat Rutgers the past two years, so they are going to come out strong wanting to win,” junior forward Catherine Shugrue said. “It is important that we play at our highest level the entire game and capitalize on every opportunity we have.”

Monmouth will pose more of a threat than Rutgers, but appears to be fairly evenly matched with the Hoyas. Georgetown has struggled to play a consistent 70 minutes this season, but they face a team that seems to have the same second-half consistency issues.

If the Hoyas can capitalize on the Hawks’ faults, they should have many opportunities to shoot. Shugrue is currently leading the Big East in shots, firing 37 this season in nine games.

The Blue and Gray will have to be aware of Monmouth junior forward Michelle Pieczynski, who leads the Hawks in points, goals and shots on goal.

“I expect a good fight in both games,” Shugrue said. “I think we have the ability to return home with two wins.”

The Hoyas play today against Rutgers at 3 p.m. in Piscataway, N.J., before heading to West Long Branch, N.J. to take on Monmouth Sunday at noon.