Field Hockey | GU Continues to Roll at 5-0

With its fifth consecutive victory to start the season, the Georgetown field hockey team remains on top of the Big East standings.

Sophomore forward Cami Osborne has 2 goals and 1 assist on the season
Hannah Levine/The Hoya

For the fourth time in five games, the Hoyas (5-0) recorded a shutout, defeating LIU Brooklyn 7-0 last Friday.

Georgetown allowed three shots all game and not one hit the target.

The Hoyas improved on their already-impressive defensive statistics.  Before the game, Georgetown was ranked second in save percentage and third in goals against average in the nation.

With their performance against the Blackbirds, the Hoyas now lead the nation in in goals against average (0.43) and save percentage (0.92).

Freshman goalkeeper Ciara Weets and senior goalkeeper Chloe Verwiel both played in the contest, but neither was tested by the LIU Brooklyn attack.

Coming into the season, Head Coach Christy Longacre was optimistic about her squad’s ability.

“We have an exciting schedule this year that will be tough, but could also be very rewarding. With some great additions and returners this fall, we are pumped to see what this team can achieve,” Longacre said in an interview with GUHoyas.

In addition to the strong defense, Georgetown also recorded its highest total shots on target so far this season. With 31 total shots and 18 on target, Georgetown remained on the offensive throughout the match.

The Hoyas started the scoring early with a goal by junior Lindsay Getz just 1:54 minutes into the match. Senior forward Helena Masiello added the second and final goal of the half 25 minutes into the contest. Senior Katie Maransky and sophomore Ali Cronin recorded assists on the goal, which resulted from a penalty corner.

Getz was named to the Big East Weekly Honor roll for her performance last Friday. She now ranks second on the team with six points.

Multiple members of the team contributed to Georgetown’s win, with six different players scoring against LIU Brooklyn.

Before the season, Longacre discussed the strong culture of the field hockey program and looked forward to welcoming six freshmen to the squad.

“We are beyond excited to welcome the 2018 signees to our Hoya field hockey family,” Longacre said in an interview with GUHoyas. “They are a disciplined group and each of them has a strong desire to excel on and off the field. We can’t wait to see what each young woman will bring to this team as we continue to build on the culture of the program.”

In the second half, the team continued to work well together, scoring five goals in a 15-minute span.

Getz netted her second goal of the game, assisted by sophomore Cami Osborne.  Just over one minute later, Kylee Cunningham extended the Hoyas’ lead to 4-0.

After junior Emily Fraser scored her first goal of the season, Osborne notched her team-leading fourth goal of the season to raise the score to 6-0.

Junior Michaela Bruno rounded out the scoring with a goal from the top of the circle 55 minutes into the game.

Georgetown will open its conference schedule this Friday in Philadelphia against Villanova.