FIELD HOCKEY | Hoyas Host Davidson, Appalachian State to Start Season

The Georgetown field hockey team will open its season with a two-game homestand, beginning against Davidson on Friday, Aug. 30, and concluding as they face off against Appalachian State on Sunday, Sep. 1. The Hoyas are starting with the same opening schedule as the previous two seasons. Last season, the team performed well outside of the Big East on its way to a 9-2 record, but a poor 2-5 display within the conference left the team with a bitter taste in their mouth and a 11-7 record overall.

In their previous matchup against the Davidson Wildcats last season, the Hoyas won a 1-0 nailbiter, with the single goal coming from current sophomore back Sydney Stephenson in the fifth minute of the match. The two teams were in close competition, with Georgetown putting up nine shots and Davidson putting up 10 shots. Despite the final outcome, Davidson had eight penalty corners to Georgetown’s five. With each team getting quick shots on goal, both offenses tested the opposing goalies. Georgetown sophomore goalkeeper Ciara Weets and the Davidson goalkeeper made five and four saves. 

GUHOYAS | The Georgetown field hockey team is starting its season with the same opening schedule as the previous two seasons, beginning with their match against Davidson on Friday, Aug. 30.

The 2017 matchup between the two teams was also close, with the Hoyas making a late comeback to beat the Wildcats 2-1. The majority of the game was a defensive struggle, with all three goals coming in the final 17 minutes. The Hoyas were able to seal their victory against the Wildcats when then-senior midfielder Megan Parsons scored the game-winning goal in the final minute.   

The Hoyas are looking to build on the success of their previous season, which they finished with an 11-7 record. This result was an improvement on their 2017-18 record of 9-10 overall. Georgetown is an experienced team, returning six seniors and seven juniors. The top three scorers for the Hoyas, junior forward Cami Osborne, senior forward Lindsay Getz and senior midfielder Michaela Bruno are also returning. The Wildcats, however, are only returning three seniors. 

After taking on the Wildcats, the Hoyas will go on to play the Appalachian State Mountaineers to finish out the opening home weekend. In their previous matchup, the Hoyas beat the Mountaineers 2-0. Georgetown came out strong with current junior midfielder Jax van der Veen scoring in the second minute of the game. The Hoya offense kept pressure on the Mountaineers throughout the contest, forcing the opposing goalkeeper to make six saves. Eight of Georgetown’s nine shots were on goal, while only three of Appalachian State’s 10 shot attempts were on target. Former senior forward Helena Masiello put the game away by scoring in the 45th minute to put the Hoyas up 2-0. 

In 2017, the Hoyas dominated the Mountaineers with an 8-0 victory. Many Hoyas got involved in the offensive onslaught, with seven different Georgetown players scoring. Georgetown attempted 15 shots compared to Appalachian State’s 12 shots. However, the Hoyas benefitted from an accuracy advantage, putting all 15 shots on goal, while the Mountaineers missed the cage on half of their attempts.

The Hoyas take on the Wildcats at Cooper Field on Friday, Aug. 30, at 2 p.m. and then host Appalachian State on Sunday, Sept. 1, at 12 p.m. After the opening weekend at home, the Hoyas will go on a four-game road stint starting at Longwood on Friday, Sept. 6.