MEN’S SOCCER | Hoyas Shut Out WVU in Win

The stands were full at Shaw Field for the Georgetown men’s soccer team’s (2-2) home opener against West Virginia (3-1-2) on Friday afternoon, and the Hoyas didn’t disappoint. From the first touch to the final whistle, the Blue and Gray played aggressive, fast-paced soccer and earned the 3-0 victory over the Mountaineers.

The Hoyas struck first 14 minutes in, when junior midfielder Austin Martz Martz played a ball to sophomore midfielder Keegan Rosenberry, who crossed it to sophomore forward Brandon Allen. Without hesitation, Allen put the ball away in the left corner to go up 1-0.

Five minutes later, the Hoyas were at it again, this time with freshman midfielder Bakie Goodman getting in on the act. Goodman chipped the ball over the defense, and Allen was there to volley it into the upper right hand corner of the net.

For his goal-scoring heroics, Allen was named the Big East player of the week.

“It was a great play from the whole team,” Goodman said. “[Freshman forward Alex] Muyl dropped the ball off to me, I saw Brandon coming on the other side and sort of put it up there and he finished it off.”

Both teams had some chances as the clock wound down on the first half, including a free kick from senior forward Steve Neumann that was bobbled by West Virginia junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston but then cleared, and a shot from Allen that missed just wide. The Hoyas went into the break up 2-0.

In the second half, Mountaineer sophomore defender Francio Henry, who had already earned a yellow card in the first half, committed a foul on Neumann and was shown the red. West Virginia maintained the pressure, but playing a man down and facing a two-goal deficit proved too much for the Mountaineers. Three Hoyas also drew three yellow cards in the match (one of which was for having 12 players on the field), but Head Coach Brian Wiese attributed the physicality to the teams’ ability to play in transition and not cheap shots.

“I thought it was played for the most part [in a] pretty honest way,” Wiesesaid. “[In games like this], both defenses are going to be in positions at different points where they’re flying in.”

Seven minutes after Henry was sent off the field, the freshmen tandem of Muyl and Goodman paired up for the goal that sealed the win for the Hoyas. In the 63rd minute, Muyl threaded the ball to Goodman, who snuck it past the keeper, to net his first career goal at Georgetown.

It was really exciting, Goodman said. I was happy to contribute to the team in that way and hopefully we can keep doing it.

Wiese wasn’t at all surprised by Goodman’s play.

“Bakie just sees the game really well, he’s weighting his passes right,” Wiese said. “The second goal was a really, really great pass by Bakie. It wasn’t just an assist- it was a really good assist.”

With the game in hand, Wiese tinkered with the line-up, subbing in 11 players in the second half, compared to only four in the first.

“If we have the opportunity to play someone for 70 minutes or 80 minutes versus 90, that makes a difference for Sunday, so that was more of the thinking there – to try to keep legs fresh for the weekend,” Wiese said.