Men’s Basketball | Bowen, GU Dominate Radford 76-49

MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA Senior forward Aaron Bowen came off the bench and led all scorers with 16 points when Georgetown played Radford on Saturday afternoon.
MICHELLE XU/THE HOYA
Senior forward Aaron Bowen came off the bench and led all scorers with 16 points when Georgetown played Radford on Saturday afternoon.

On a cold Saturday afternoon at Verizon Center, the Radford Highlanders (5-4) paid a visit to the Georgetown Hoyas (6-3) for a nonconference men’s basketball matchup. The Hoyas ended the Highlanders’ three-game winning streak by a score of 76-49, behind the strong play of senior forward Aaron Bowen and freshman forward Paul White.

Bowen was the game’s leading scorer with 16 points off the bench, adding four rebounds, two blocks and one assist to his effort for Georgetown. He also provided the highlight of the game with a flashy 360-degree dunk on a fast break in the second half.

Radford opened up the game with a strong stretch of play, getting out to a 9-7 lead behind senior forward Javonte Green and junior guard Rashun Davis, who finished with 12 points, four assists and one steal.

“In the first half, we played exactly the way we wanted to — we got great looks [but] they didn’t go down. Our defense was very solid,” Radford Head Coach Mike Jones said.

The Hoyas would claim the lead for good with 11:50 remaining in the first half on a Bowen layup. The senior provided an instant spark off the bench for the Hoyas, and punctuated his performance with several dunks that drew reactions from the crowd.

“Aaron’s name was called today and he stepped up,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said.

Senior guard Jabril Trawick, coming off a knee injury that he suffered in the game against Kansas on Wednesday night, had arguably his best game of the season, notching eight points, seven assists, four rebounds and one steal. He was aggressive early on and was not afraid to take the open shot, as he was a perfect 3-for-3 from the field, including 2-for-2 from three-point range. It was a bounce-back performance for him after a poor outing against Kansas, in which he played 27 minutes but picked up three turnovers and only scored two points.

“Last game, I didn’t really feel like I came to play. I had a lot of turnovers,” Trawick said after the game.

White continued his impressive start to his freshman campaign, showing off his smooth stroke by shooting 4-for-7 from the field and 2-for-3 on three-pointers. He finished with 12 points, adding one assist and three rebounds.

Jones was complimentary of White’s performance after the game.

“We knew he was a tremendous player. As a freshman, to have that confidence to shoot the ball is impressive,” Jones said.

White’s play helped the Hoyas gain a 29-18 lead at half. After halftime, the Blue and Gray dominated on the defensive end. The Georgetown defense was led by a solid effort from senior forward Mikael Hopkins, who had five rebounds, two blocks and two steals.

Georgetown quickly pushed its lead to 20 points four minutes into the second half, and extended its lead throughout the rest of the game. Thompson inserted a lineup of four freshmen: guard Tre Campbell, forward L.J. Peak, White and forward Isaac Copeland, along with reserve junior center Bradley Hayes at the 10-minute mark, essentially declaring the game in Georgetown’s grasp.

Junior guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera had an underwhelming performance for the second game in a row, scoring only nine points on 1-of-9 shooting with five assists, four rebounds and one steal. Nevertheless, Thompson was still optimistic about the Preseason Big East Player of the Year’s performance.

“I think he was pressing a little bit. He’ll be OK. D’Vauntes is going to make shots. We need him to score,” Thompson said.

Georgetown’s biggest lead came with 3:10 left in the game at 33 points. Sophomore forward Reggie Cameron hit a three-pointer over Radford’s 2-3 zone defense, and the Hoyas cruised to victory by a final score of 76-49.

The Hoyas will try to build on their momentum when they host UNC-Charlotte a week from today at the Verizon Center, looking to move to 7-3 on the season. Tipoff is set for 12 p.m.