MEN’S BASKETBALL | Hoyas Trounce Kansas State

After stumbling to one of their worst non-conference losses in recent memory Thursday afternoon, Georgetown (2-2) righted the ship Friday with a dominant 90-63 win over Kansas State in the first consolation round of the Puerto Rico Tip Off.

Just as they did yesterday, the Hoyas built an early lead and scored the game’s first 10 points. But Friday – unlike Thursday against Northeastern – the combination of a solid zone defense and aggressive pressure forced the Wildcats into a spate of turnovers and missed shots.

Georgetown once again relied on sophomore guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, who scored 25 points and went 4-for-5 from beyond the arc. Although senior guard Markel Starks was shaky once again, the Blue and Gray finished the game 6-for-13 from three-point range.

Most importantly, however, the Hoyas dramatically stepped up around the post, with junior center Joshua Smith and junior forward Mikael Hopkins both connecting around the rim. Smith, in particular, had a much better game than he had against Northeastern and finished the afternoon with 13 points.

Junior guard Jabril Trawick who stood out with 6-for-7 shooting from the field and finished with 13 points, three rebounds and three steals.

The Hoyas were also much more effective at the charity stripe on Friday, hitting 18-of-22 free throws, good for an 81.8 percentage.

With so much improvement, the Hoyas took a 45-28 lead into halftime and – although fans probably expected it – the Bruce Weber-coached Wildcats were never able to put a serious dent into the advantage after halftime.

Kansas State struggled with turnovers throughout the game, was forced into many bad shots and ended up shooting just 35.3 percent from the floor.

Georgetown will face either Long Beach State or Virginia Commonwealth in the final consolation round of the tournament on Sunday afternoon. The game is set for 2 p.m. and will be televised on ESPNU.