MEN’S BASKETBALL | Thompson Signs Three-Year Deal with Thunder

Former Georgetown forward Hollis Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder, according to his agent, Seth Cohen. Thompson decided to forgo his senior year but was not selected in the NBA Draft and has yet to play any games in the NBA Summer League.

Thompson left Georgetown as one of the school’s best three-point shooters, clocking 44 percent from beyond the arc in his three-year career

. His shooting ability and stellar performances in his last three NCAA tournament games helped his draft stock, but questions about his consistency and defensive abilities — as well as a nagging groin injury that plagued him throughout his junior year — contributed to him not hearing his name called in this year’s draft.

The Thunder, who are the reigning Western Conference champions, decided to take a chance on Thompson in what seems like a great fit for both sides. Oklahoma City looks to benefit from a sharpshooter like Thompson, having only one player on its roster who shot better than 40% from beyond the arc this past season, while Thompson figures to find loads of open shots off of double-teams on Kevin Durant or Russell Westbrook.

The partially guaranteed contact will pay Thompson $473,604 in his first season. If the team chooses to pick up the option for the next two seasons, it could pay up to $2.2 million.

An earlier version of this article originally appeared on Hoya Paranoia on Wednesday, July 11.