Softball | Hoyas Escape Citrus Classic With 1-2 Record

If anyone were anxious for spring to come, it would be the athletes on the Georgetown softball team.

Continuing their recent streak of bad luck with weather, Georgetown (6-5) traveled all the way to Kissimmee, Fla., where two out of their five scheduled Citrus Classic tournament games were canceled due to rain.

If that wasn’t bad enough, the Hoyas’ flight home was canceled and the team was forced to take an unexpected bus ride back to the Hilltop.

It turned into a very long weekend for the Hoyas, but they managed to squeeze some softball in, going 1-2 over three games.

Georgetown’s first opponent, the University of Nebraska-Omaha (6-7), jumped out to a quick lead by scoring two runs in the first inning, but over the next two innings, the Hoyas evened the score.

Both sides stayed quiet until the fifth inning when the Mavericks loaded the bases and junior catcher Campbell Ditto brought in four runs with a grand slam.

The Mavericks got one more run off a sacrifice fly in the sixth. The Hoyas tried to string together a comeback, scoring two runs of their own in the sixth, but it was too little and too late. Senior pitcher Lauren O’Leary took the loss, giving up seven earned runs.

Later in the day, Georgetown faced a familiar foe, former Big East rival and No. 23 Notre Dame (12-6). Once again, the Hoyas fell behind quickly, with an error and a couple of costly walks driving in the Fighting Irish’s first run in the first inning.

Notre Dame continued to surge, scoring five runs in the bottom of the third and two in the fourth to take an 8-0 lead.

Georgetown finally got on the board in the fifth, thanks to a two-run triple from sophomore catcher Gabriela Elvina, who then scored on a sacrifice fly from freshman center fielder Payton Lawton. Those three tallies in the fifth inning were the only runs of the game for the Hoyas.

Notre Dame was relentless, scoring one run in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI single.  Junior All-American first baseman Micaela Arizmendi then crushed a three-run home run, ending the game in five innings due to run differential.

O’Leary and freshman pitcher Avery Gheer each allowed six runs in the game.

After taking Saturday off due to the rain, Georgetown returned to the diamond on Sunday to face Indiana (3-15), breaking its two-game losing streak with a decisive 7-2 victory.

The Hoyas reversed recent patterns and quickly scored three runs in the first inning, with senior pitcher Megan Hyson singling in the first. Sophomore Alessandra Gargicevich-Almeida singled in another, and Hyson scored on an error to make it 3-0.

Indiana scored on solo home runs in the second and fifth, but Georgetown’s lead was never in danger as it scored four more runs. Junior Samantha Giovanniello finished the game with three hits and two RBIs and freshman left fielder Theresa Kane had two hits with two runs scored.

Hyson picked up her fifth win for Georgetown, pitching the complete game with eight strikeouts.

Head Coach Pat Conlan was pleased with the Hoyas’ effort and results.

“[I am] happy with how we competed,” Conlan said. “Friday was a tough day so to sit through a long rain day yesterday and to come out so strong today shows what we are about. We executed all three parts of the game and controlled the game from the first pitch.”

Georgetown returns to Florida next weekend for the Under Armour Showcase during the first weekend of spring break.