Tebow’s Success Defies Logic

There was something magical about the Denver Broncos’ 17-13 comeback victory over the New York Jets last Thursday night. Even though Tim Tebow completed only nine passes for 104 yards, the Broncos somehow managed to pull off the upset. After starting the season 1-4, Denver is now 5-5 and is just one game behind the division-leading Raiders in the AFC West.

What’s been the difference in the last 5 games? The only real change is that veteran quarterback Kyle Orton has been benched in favor of Tim Tebow.

Was this the right move? The stats would say no. On average, Tebow has completed just under 45 percent of his attempts for a mere 89 yards per game, earning a passer rating of 78.4.

To put this in perspective, he is the worst among all starting quarterbacks in the first two categories, while his passer rating just barely edges the likes of Curtis Painter and Tarvaris Jackson. Furthermore, he piles up most of his numbers late in the game, as he leads the Broncos on desperate, last-minute scoring drives. In fact, each of their last four victories has been won in the fourth quarter.

The stats don’t prove anything. So how do you explain this success? Is it dumb luck? An easy schedule? Good coaching? A combination of the three?

Or is it Tim Tebow? Based on the horrible numbers I just listed, it would seem contradictory when I say that there’s something special about Tebow. Yes, he’s an average (or below-average) NFL quarterback. But he’s more than just an NFL quarterback.

Tim Tebow is a leader. He leads his team down the field with two minutes left on the clock to score the game-winning touchdown. When the going gets tough, he puts his nose to the grindstone and muscles ahead for an extra yard. When he’s listed as the third-string quarterback at the start of the season, he keeps his head up and earns the right to start five games later. When criticized by expert analysts, he responds with maturity. When he prays, he wears his heart on his sleeve. When he is mocked for praying, he laughs along and takes it in stride.

When he’s not concentrating on football, he’s busy spreading his message about faith and God. He’s busy building a children’s hospital in the Philippines. He’s busy running his nonprofit and raising money for people in need. He’s a nice guy. And this year, nice guys may not finish last after all.

Yet, critics continue to deride Tebow for being a phony, calling him a big fullback who’s a wannabe passer. Merril Hoge of ESPN boldly declared that it’s “embarrassing to think that the Broncos could win with Tebow.” I can think of four reasons why he’s wrong. The stats may not be pretty, but I’ll take a 4-1 record over flashy performance any day.

I think there are some deeper, darker emotions at play here, too. Tebow is like the perfect child; he’s exactly who we want our favorite athlete to be. Does he even swear during the game? Tebow takes the high road both on and off the field. Players like Ben Roethlisberger, Michael Vick and Ray Lewis —¬ who are very popular — cannot uphold that standard. Even Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are not as saintly as Tim Tebow. Although they won’t admit it, some people resent Tebow for his eccentric purity — sincere or otherwise.

Tebow has the intangibles, and with the recent success of the Broncos, it seems like intangibles can really make a difference. He exudes confidence and energizes his team, and I can’t really explain it, but neither can the critics who said that he’ll never win a game. You’re not supposed to win a game when you throw the ball two times for 69 yards.

Tebow’s success defies statistical logic. But whoever said that football is a logical game? With two parents who are both ministers, maybe all of those prayers are finally paying off.