TENNIS | Men Secure 1st Victory, Women Fall to 0-3

GUHOYAS
Senior Drew Spinosa defeated Barbara Vasilkovy of Towson  University 6-2, 6-2 last Tuesday at Yates Field House.
GUHOYAS Senior Drew Spinosa defeated Barbara Vasilkovy of Towson University 6-2, 6-2 last Tuesday at Yates Field House.

Both the men’s and women’s Georgetown tennis teams returned to action in a week that saw the men secure their first victory of the season, while the women suffered their third consecutive 4-3 loss.

Hosting Monmouth (1-5) at Yates Field House on Feb. 9, the men relied on the depth of their singles lineup and a dominating doubles performance to collect five victory-clinching points last Friday. The Blue and Gray (1-1) swept the No. 3 with six singles matches, highlighted by a trio of straight set wins. Junior Michael Chen defeated his Hawk counterpart 7-6, 7-5, senior Marco Lam triumphed 6-2, 7-5 and freshman Connor Lee earned his first dual match victory with a 6-1, 6-2 win.

GUHOYAS
Senior Drew Spinosa defeated Barbara Vasilkovy of Towson University 6-2, 6-2 last Tuesday at Yates Field House.

Before the match even began, assistant coach Courtney Dolehide noticed a different attitude and mindset from the men’s squad compared to last week’s lack of focus against Penn. She credited the shift to veteran leadership.

“I could tell even in the warmup that we were more ready to go mentally. It definitely helped having our senior and captain Peter [Beatty] in the lineup. That was a significant help,” Dolehide said.

In doubles play, Georgetown earned the point with a 3-0 sweep, headlined by the No. 1 senior duo of Beatty and Mac Rechan, who won 6-3. Freshman Rohan Kamdar and Chen competed in the No. 2 position and prevailed 7-5. The combination of Lam and sophomore Ian Witmer clinched the sweep in a 6-2 victory in the No. 3 slot.

On Tuesday, the Georgetown women (0-3) hosted Towson (2-2) at Yates Field House in a hotly contested match that resulted in the Hoyas’ third straight 4-3 loss.

The Blue and Gray opened the match with an impressive performance in doubles, as a trio of upperclassmen teams swept their Towson opponents. The pair of senior Sydney Goodson and junior Sara Swift prevailed 6-3 in the No. 1 slot. Complementing this performance in the No. 2 position, junior Risa Nakagawa and senior Casey Marx triumphed 7-5, while the combo of senior Drew Spinosa and junior Cecilia Lynham earned a 6-3 victory.

Yet the Georgetown team was unable to carry its momentum into the singles matches. Towson secured the four necessary points in singles competition at both the top and bottom of the lineup. Swift fell in the No. 1 match 7-5, 7-6, while Goodson, senior Daphne de Chatellus and Marx were defeated in the No. 3-6 matches, respectively.

Nakagawa continued her successful day with a 6-4, 6-1 win in the No. 2 match, and Spinosa earned Georgetown’s third and final point in a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 3.

Over the past three seasons, Georgetown has enjoyed success against Towson, winning the last three contests. Dolehide believed the team was overconfident going into the match but found a silver lining in the defeat.

“All of us, with our strong history against Towson, underestimated them a little bit. But this is good to get these experiences this early in the season,” Dolehide said.

Next up for the Hoyas is a trip to Cincinnati, Ohio, where both squads will battle Xavier on Feb. 23.