TENNIS | Women Take to U.S. Open Grounds

The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams will have had a week and a half to rest when they take the court again this weekend, with each side seeking very different things in its return to action. While the women’s team is riding a hot streak — having won five in a row — the men’s team is still seeking its first victory after having dropped several close matches to start its spring season.

The men’s team (0-5) has its first match in Storrs, Conn., on Saturday, when it faces off against aUConn team (1-2) that is coming off two 7-0 losses earlier this week. Following that match with the Huskies, the Hoyas will travel back to Georgetown for a home contest against Richmond (2-5).

Expressing his belief that the men’s record doesn’t tell the whole story of their performance this season, Head Coach Gordie Ernst explained that he likes their chances this weekend.

“I think we match up great,” Ernst said, noting the Hoyas’ success in recent years against both programs. And while he then acknowledged that having to travel on the same day as playing can be taxing, Ernst challenged his team to step up and come ready to play both days. “I think that if they can’t do that then they shouldn’t be Division I athletes,” he said. “We just have to get tough.”

Both matches this weekend provide good opportunities for Georgetown to pick up its first couple wins of the season.

The women’s team (5-1), meanwhile, will head to the famed Flushing Meadows venue — home of the U.S. Open — to take on South Florida (0-3) Saturday.

Distractions, Ernst suggested, could well be a problem, as might have been the case in the Blue and Gray’s loss to St. John’s at Flushing Meadows Thursday.

“It’s going to be hard. I mean, [now that we’re here], the girls are excited,” he said.

In contrast with their recent superiority over the Johnnies, Georgetown has not had a more successful program than USF over the course of the last decade or so. The Bulls, in spite of their winless record thus far, may present the toughest matchup for the Hoyas since their opening match against Virginia Commonwealth.

“They’re a ranked team, and they beat us last year,” Ernst said of South Florida. “They’re usually one of the best teams in the Big East.”

The women’s match will act as a good measuring stick for where Georgetown truly stands through the first tough stretch of its conference schedule.

Play kicks off at 10 a.m. in New York City.