Thompson Withdraws From Draft

File Photo: MARISSA AMENDOLIA/THE HOYA Sophomore forward Hollis Thompson, shown at St. John's Jan. 3, had declared for the NBA Draft.
File Photo: MARISSA AMENDOLIA/THE HOYA
Sophomore forward Hollis Thompson, shown at St. John’s Jan. 3, had declared for the NBA Draft.

Sophomore forward Hollis Thompson withdrew his name from the NBA Draft yesterday evening and will return to Georgetown for his junior season, Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post reported earlier this evening.

According to El-Bashir, Thompson told Head Coach John Thompson III at approximately 9 p.m. yesterday evening that he would return to school, shortly before the midnight deadline for all underclassmen without an agent to decide if they would remain in the draft. Had he remained, Thompson would have forgone his remaining NCAA eligibility.

Thompson will be the sole junior representative on the basketball team next season, after fellow rising juniors Vee Sanford and Jerrelle Benimon decided to transfer this spring.

Thompson averaged 8.6 points and 4.4 rebounds per game for the Hoyas this season. He began the season in the starting lineup but was moved to the sixth man spot in favor of freshman forward Nate Lubick in January. Thompson returned to the starting lineup in March after senior guard Chris Wright broke his hand and capped the season with a career-high 26 points in the Hoyas’ second-round NCAA tournament loss to Virginia Commonwealth University.

Thompson took part in a combine for 44 NBA-hopefuls in front of 26 NBA coaches and executives in East Rutherford, N.J. The combine was jointly held by the New Jersey Nets, the New York Knicks and the Houston Rockets, the New York Post reported.

A 6-foot-7 wing, Thompson will likely move to the backcourt this season after spending much of his Georgetown career at small forward. The Hoyas have an influx of post players coming in for 2011-2012, with four of the five freshmen listed as either power forwards or centers.