TRACK AND FIELD | Riggins Sets Second University Record, Matsatsa Remains Undefeated at Penn State National Open

Georgetown track and field continued its dominance with multiple statement runs from junior Melissa Riggins and first-year Tinoda Matsatsa.

Georgetown University’s track and field program continued to dominate this past weekend on Jan. 26 and 27 at the Penn State National Open Invitational, a meet highlighted by outstanding performances from junior Melissa Riggins, first-year Tinoda Matsatsa, graduate student Peter Herold and senior Rebecca Ochan. 

The women’s team was especially impressive this weekend. Most notably, Riggins continued breaking records, setting the new university record for the women’s 1600-meter at 4:30.73. Her feat comes just one week after shattering the Georgetown record for the women’s 1000 at the Hokie Invitational in Blacksburg, Va.

In the women’s 600, senior DeAnna Martin took eighth place and junior Sierra Dinnwen took ninth.

In addition, two Hoyas placed in the top five of the women’s 400 race, with junior KC Ashiogwu taking third in 55.89 seconds and graduate student Kaira Brown not far behind in fourth with a time of 56.30.

Ochan and graduate student Maya Drayton competed in two separate women’s 200 races — the open, in which Ochan finished with a commanding time of 24.55, and the invite, where Drayton achieved sixth place with a time of 24.54.

Of the three Hoyas competing in the 1000 race, first-year Caroline Cummings stepped up and led the team with a time of 2:55.91 to take fourth. Fellow first-year Alli Cryster finished in fifth at 2:58.01, and first-year Natalie McLean followed in sixth at 2:58.24.

First-year Piper Rogers said she thinks this streak of excellence will continue this weekend when the Hoyas compete in the Boston University Scarlet and White Invite.

“I expect the distance team to continue with this success and achieve much more as the season progresses,” Rogers told The Hoya. “It is going to be a very great weekend for distance at BU. I suspect that we will have a handful of people compete at the NCAA championships this year.”

The men’s team also put up several great performances throughout the weekend, with Matsatsa leading the charge and adding to his young but impressive resume as a Hoya. 

Matsatsa was simply incredible in the men’s 800, achieving the second-best time both in the nation this year and in Georgetown’s history en route to his fourth straight victory. The first-year, who showed no signs of slowing down since his NCAA record 1000 performance last week, logged a time of 1:46.87 to beat a crowded field including four All-American First Team selections.

Graduate student Tim McInerney also placed in the top ten of the 800 with a time of 1:48.47, finishing in eighth. 

Sophomore Nicholas Givan also showed up for Georgetown this weekend. Givan placed tenth in the men’s 200 with a time of 22.02 and took ninth in the men’s 400 with a 48.857 finish.

Notably, Herold competed in the men’s 3000 and earned third place with a time of 7:55.97.

Finally, three Hoyas — senior Owen Johnson, junior Mateo Althouse and senior Sean Laidlaw — took eighth, ninth and tenth respectively in the men’s 1000. 

Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Alton McKenzie said the team is focused on maintaining this high level of performance throughout the rest of the season.

“We’re wrapping up January on a high note with continued record-breaking performances,” McKenzie told Georgetown Athletics. “The good form seen so far this season is very encouraging and we hope to see our men and women have great performances as we head into February.”

Gaining momentum from this truly laudable team performance, the Hoyas will travel to Boston University Feb. 3 for their next meet.