Women’s Basketball | Young Team Determined To End 7-Game Skid

FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA  Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako will look to avenge her 4-of-12 effort from Jan. 11.
FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA
Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako will look to avenge her 4-of-12 effort from Jan. 11.

The Georgetown women’s basketball team (4-19, 2-9 Big East) will look to end a seven-game losing streak when it hosts Villanova (13-10, 7-4 Big East) on Sunday in the McDonough Arena.

Freshman guard Dorothy Adomako, who is averaging team highs with 13.7 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, will lead the Hoyas as they prepare for the Wildcats.

Adomako, the Big East Preseason Freshman of the Year, has lived up to her billing, as she has won Big East Freshman of the Week five times this season. Adomako has earned the respect of her teammates through her hard work and standout play.

“Dorothy’s a great player. She looks to attack offensively, and I think she’s going to improve as she goes. Obviously coming in as a freshman, she’s really strong,” junior guard and co-captain Katie McCormick said.

Villanova Head Coach Harry Perretta, who is in his 37th year of coaching the Wildcats, leads a team that will look to slow down the pace of the game. The Wildcats lead the Big East in scoring defense, conceding an average of 55.7 points per game, and they will look to hurt the Hoyas with smart play and accurate outside shooting.

Villanova junior guard Caroline Coyer leads the team and ranks sixth in the Big East with 45 three-pointers this season, but she is merely one component of her team’s offense. Villanova leads the Big East in three-point percentage at 35 percent.

The last time the Hoyas faced the Wildcats was Jan. 11 when Georgetown travelled to Villanova. Georgetown was coming off a victory over Providence, but it fell to Villanova, 69-57. In the loss, Coyer and Leer led the Wildcats against Georgetown with 14 and 12 points, respectively.

The Hoyas’ focus during this game will be on the defensive end. The Wildcats boast a roster of strong players. Even the team’s de-facto center, senior Emily Leer, has made 26 three-pointers this season, and the team’s ability to spread out defenses has caused problems for its opponents all season. Georgetown will attempt to slow Villanova’s offense with disciplined defense and a detailed game plan.

“We have to make it hard for them — we have to arrive on the catch and we have to make sure that there’s pressure on all passes. We just can’t fall asleep defensively because they are such a veteran team, and a good team, that they will expose that immediately,” Georgetown Head Coach Natasha Adair said.

Georgetown will look to use its athleticism to attack Villanova in transition whenever possible. Still, the Hoyas will take care to be smart as they attack, as the Wildcats are not a team that typically yield many transition opportunities.

“I think you have to be smart. In order to run, you have to defend. And when we have those opportunities, we definitely want to expose that,” Adair said.

Another focus for the Hoyas is to avoid careless turnovers. The Blue and Gray committed 48 turnovers in their two-game road trip last weekend, and the team is focused on limiting its mistakes. The team believes that its turnover problem is correctable, as it is unforced rather than caused by an opposing team’s defense.

“What we have to avoid is those dead-ball turnovers. We have to avoid some of the turnovers that come with rushing; unforced turnovers and mental mistakes, and those are the ones that we can alleviate,” Adair said.

Georgetown will look to receive scoring contributions from several of its key players. Junior forward Dominique Vitalis, a 6-foot-2-inch versatile player, could cause a matchup problem for Villanova. Vitalis is a ferocious offensive rebounder and an effective inside scorer, but she can also hit midrange jumpers.

McCormick, a sharpshooter, ranks ninth in the conference with 40 three-pointers this season. Her quick release can cause problems for a defense that lets her slip into open spaces.

Junior forwards Logan Battle and Brittany Horne, along with sophomore forward Faith Woodard, round out the Hoyas who are averaging more than seven points per game.

Although the team hasn’t been able to achieve its desired results at times throughout this season, the program is on the upswing. The Hoyas’ roster features five freshmen and zero seniors, meaning that the team will be able to establish unique continuity as it returns its entire roster next season.

“We have no seniors, so we’re young, but next year we will [have seniors], and hopefully the chemistry will be there, and we’ll build from there,” McCormick said.

The game will tip off at 5 p.m. Sunday.