WOMEN’S SOCCER | Hoyas Dominate St. John’s in Big East Opener

GUHoyas+%7C+Graduate+Emma+Davis+was+instrumental+in+facilitating+a+third+goal+by+graduate+midfielder+Grace+Sherman.+
GUHoyas | Graduate Emma Davis was instrumental in facilitating a third goal by graduate midfielder Grace Sherman.

Following an uncharacteristic loss against Princeton the previous game, the Georgetown women’s soccer team looked to bounce back against St. John’s, who have not picked up points against the Hoyas in seven years. 

The Red Storm will have to wait longer for a positive result as Georgetown looked every part of a stronger squad in a convincing 3-1 victory. The Hoyas (6-1-4, 2-0-1 Big East) got off to a quick start, dominating possession immediately and stifling the Red Storm (5-4-2, 0-3-0 Big East) with their continued pressure. 

Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said he was proud of his team’s effort, led in part by graduate midfielder Grace Sherman, against a strong fight by SJU. 

“When Grace Sherman scored a world-class third goal, I felt like we could just see out the game but give St. John’s credit, they battled hard and scored one late to make it interesting,” Nolan told Georgetown Athletics. 

“Anytime you can take three points on the road in the Big East it’s a good night and we head on to Creighton now hoping for another positive result Sunday,” Nolan added. 

The early stages of the game were played almost entirely in Georgetown’s attacking third, and the team was quickly rewarded with a stunning goal from graduate forward Allie Winstanley, her second of the season. Winstanley managed to beat three SJU defenders on the dribble before getting a powerful shot off to put the Hoyas up 1-0. 

Georgetown continued to be an offensive threat with multiple set pieces in the subsequent minutes. The Red Storm eventually settled into the game, maintaining a bit more possession, which allowed the Hoyas to take a breather after the high-intensity opening phase of the game. In the 17th minute, St. John’s was awarded a free kick right outside the box, resulting in a good attempt by midfielder Jessica Garziano that sailed just high. 

Garziano, SJU’s all-time leader in assists, would prove to be the biggest problem for Georgetown throughout the match — shortly after, she had multiple well-taken corner kicks that could have nearly led to an equalizer. Great saves by Georgetown graduate goalkeeper Allie Augur as well as strong play by the stalwart backline helped the Hoyas maintain their advantage heading into the half. 

Georgetown appeared to want to start the second half much the same way they started the first — with high intensity, rhythm, and possession. However, their captain and reigning Big East defensive player of the year, graduate midfielder Julia Leas, picked up a yellow card just two minutes into the half for a rough tackle.

The Hoyas did not falter, though, and five minutes later, their lead was doubled by sophomore forward Natalie Means. SJU failed several times to clear a corner kick out of the box, allowing Means to collect the ball and nutmeg a defender for her third goal of the season.

Now in control of a more secure 2-0 lead, the Georgetown defense continued to dominate. The Red Storm were repeatedly frustrated by the Hoya backline in their efforts to get any sort of offensive momentum going. Georgetown’s threat on set pieces persisted – in the 62nd minute, a perfectly placed corner kick by senior midfielder Tatum Lenain nearly led to another goal if not for a remarkable defensive effort from SJU. 

Shortly after, Georgetown senior defender Erin Junkmann went down injured and remained down for nearly five minutes — eventually walking off the field herself, although with the help of trainers. 

The Hoyas did not let this rattle them, soaring to a 3-0 lead minutes later through an absolute wondergoal by Sherman. Graduate Emma Davis picked the ball through a defender’s legs and quickly handed it off to Sherman, who sent an absolute rocket from well outside the box to almost certainly put the game out of reach for St. John’s in minute 69. The goal was Sherman’s first as a Hoya after transferring from Princeton prior to this season. 

Georgetown laid off the gas after the third goal, with SJU finally pulling one back through Garziano in the 79th minute to make the game 3-1. Garziano’s attacking prowess all evening was finally rewarded with a great team goal, with assists coming from both forward Isabelle Aviza and forward Nicole Gordon. 

Just a few minutes later, after another defensive lapse by the Red Storm, freshman defender Kaya Hansen nearly made it 4-1 for the Hoyas with a powerful shot that went just wide of goal. SJU stayed in the game, however, hitting the goalpost in the 89th minute and then nearly following it up with a rebound shot. 

However, Georgetown’s defense was able to see out the game and keep the scoreline 3-1. Although SJU undoubtedly had individual moments of offensive skill — prior to this match, they had scored 10 goals in their last 4 games — it was clear that the Hoyas’ elite defense succeeded in greatly limiting their creativity and opportunities to attack. SJU’s 79th-minute goal was just the fourth goal that Georgetown has conceded in the second half all season.

With Winstanley, Means and Sherman all on the board for the Hoyas on Thursday night, and each scoring very different styles of goals, it was clear that Georgetown’s attack is diverse, prolific, and full of chemistry. 

The Hoyas will look to continue this momentum as conference play ramps up. They traveled to Omaha to beat Creighton (2-5-4, 0-3-0 Big East) 1-0 in a defensive showdown Sunday and came back home to draw UConn (5-2-3, 2-0-1 Big East) in a scoreless affair Thursday. Georgetown will stay at Shaw Field to play DePaul (4-4-1, 0-2-0 Big East) on Sunday at 1 p.m.