WOMEN’S TENNIS | Run of Futility Reaches 31 Years As Orange Upend Hoyas Again

The Georgetown women’s tennis team fell to Syracuse 5-2 on Sunday, extending its losing streak against the Orange into a 31st consecutive year. The Hoyas got off to a promising start but could not hold off the No. 4 team in the Big East.

Georgetown graduate student Stephanie Wetmore and junior Victoria Sekely each won their first sets, providing the team with an early spark. But, while Wetmore handily defeated junior Alessondra Parra 6-4, 6-1, Sekely went on to lose 4-6, 6-3, 6-0.

Head Coach Gordie Ernst was not thrilled with the way that the team played, but he had nothing but praise for Wetmore.

“On a positive note, Wetmore hasn’t lost yet. She’s still undefeated playing at the No. 1 position. She’s been everything to us,” Ernst said. “It’s great for the program.”

However, the team as a whole has a long way to go to get to where it wants to be. The Orange outlasted the Hoyas physically and mentally to overcome Georgetown’s solid start.

“They out-grinded us and wore us down,” Ernst said. “We need to get in better shape.”

Without mentioning specific players, Ernst expressed disappointment in the performance of some of his veterans.

Freshmen Tina Tehrani and Madeline Jaeger struggled at No. 3 and No. 5 singles, respectively, but Ernst did not expect anything spectacular from them in their first high-pressure match.

Despite consecutive losses to open the season, Ernst is pleased with the team’s attitude and direction. It is only January, and there is no substitute for experience as the team prepares for more competitive matches.

“In previous years, the girls would complain and lose focus on tennis after a tough loss,” Ernst said. “This year it’s different. They want to work harder and get better.”

Despite the loss, the Hoyas have a positive note to build on: They beat the Orange, 2-1, in the doubles competition, thanks to an 8-7 victory by Wetmore and Greco at No. 1 and an 8-6 defeat by Tehrani and Sekely at second doubles.

Ernst believes that the team’s tough early schedule will pay off during the rest of the season. For now, the Blue and Gray must stay focused and confident. If things go as expected, they have a solid chance of earning their first win next weekend against Lehigh.

As for the program’s 31-year losing streak against its archrival from New York, Ernst hopes to get another shot at the Orange in the Big East tournament.