Baby Steps for MyAccess

Despite the distractions of refreshingly warm weather and looming finals, pre-registration is on the top of most students’ to-do lists. Anyone who has begun exploring next semester’s course catalog will have noticed that MyAccess is to start providing textbook information for many courses. The addition is a simple one that will make a world of difference in each student’s bid for the perfect schedule.

The cost of a textbook is no laughing matter, and textbooks may be a determining factor for students choosing between two courses. Plus, if students have textbook information for fall courses in the spring, they may be able to scout out a good deal through online vendors or used bookstores.

While adding textbook data is a positive step, the Office of the University Registrar is still falling short in the realm of class descriptions. Several courses in the government department lack explanatory paragraphs, while similarly blank pages litter other areas such as Latin American studies and international affairs.

Because they are brief, course titles can be misleading. When paired with an absent course description, ambiguous course names can be a recipe for frustration – students might end up in a class that is very different from what they had expected.

Ideally, every course would have a syllabus paired with its online profile. Students should gain some familiarity with the assignments and grading policy of a course before signing up.

Of course, for those courses that list the professor as to be determined, it is unrealistic to expect a full-fledged syllabus. But each course listing should, at the very least, have a few sentences written on the focus of the class. Posting syllabuses from previous years to course listings is not sufficient – especially for courses that have since changed professors.

Here’s to hoping that newly added textbook information is only the first phase in a broader improvement to the MyAccess course catalog.