GU Launches Feedback Forum Site

Hoya Ideas Community, a student- driven online platform soliciting suggestions for the university, will debut Tuesday.

The Georgetown-specific forum is hosted by IdeaScale, a program that allows interactive user feedback and is utilized by Stanford and New York Universities.

“IdeaScale is an online crowd sourcing platform, which is essentially a micro-blog where students can enter in their concerns and suggestions,” Georgetown University Student Association Secretary of Information and Technology Michael Crouch (MSB ’13) said.

According to Michael Wang (MSB ’07), the university’s chief innovation officer, students will be able to submit ideas about technology, housing, facilities, safety and food. Students can then comment on the proposals and vote on their relevance.

The voting feature’s ranking system is intended to allow GUSA and administrators to pinpoint and address the most pressing concerns.

According to Wang, the platform will complement the Hoya Roundtables, an initiative that allows students to discuss concerns and ideas with university administrators.

“The Ideas Community platform will help to support the Roundtables because we will be able to take the ideas, input and questions we receive to facilitate an even more focused discussion during the Roundtable sessions,” he wrote in an email.

Wang added that the site will allow the university to keep students updated on the progress of adopted proposals.

“We want to clearly communicate the projects that we are able to take on and communicate why or why not we are able to do them […] so that it’s one place where people can see clearly where their ideas are happening, how they’re being reviewed and, if we can’t do something, what those constraints were,” he wrote.

The website may also allow students to share the ideas on other social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter, according to Crouch and Wang.

The project was a joint project of GUSA, the Office of the Chief Operating Officer and University Information Services. The GUSA executives, who campaigned to create an idea platform, approached the COO Office and Wang, who was operating a forum powered by Google’s moderator application for students to voice their suggestions, to create a unified platform.

Crouch said he hoped the platform will allow an expansion of the dialogue started by the Hoya Roundtables.

“Hoya [Roundtables are] the face to- face contact version of what IdeaScale is in digital media,” he said. “The idea is that if students are willing to come to those events and express their opinions there, they would be even more willing to just go to a website.”

Correction: The article previously stated that Chief Innovation Officer Michael Wang had been working independently to develop a student suggestions web portal. Wang had always been working on the same platform.