GUSA Elections 2010

**Calen Angert and Jason Kluger**

*Calen Angert (MSB ’11)*

Sitting GUSA President Angert is a finance major from Winter Park, Fla. His past campus involvement includes working for The Corp and Residential Life. Within GUSA, he has served as senator as well as secretary of student affairs and is the current GUSA president.

*Jason Kluger (MSB ’11)*

Sitting GUSA Vice President Kluger is from Warren, N.J., and is pursuing a major in international business and management. He is a member of Alpha Kappa Psi and has served as the director of marketing for GUSA.

*Platform*

Campus Life: Angert and Kluger plan to address student life concerns with several new initiatives that include joining contract renegotiation discussions between ARAMARK Higher Education and the university to represent student interests as well as partnering with Zipcar to make the car rental service available to students over the age of 18. They plan to continue expansion of the existing GUSA Summer Fellows Program and the Georgetown University LSAT Familiarization course.

Student Space: Angert and Kluger will explore new options to facilitate the booking of meeting space for clubs and students. They would also like to open up more late-night study spaces on campus.

Student Safety: The two plan to push for the creation of a student conduct task force to revise the Student Code of Conduct as well as a “grace period” for hosts to break up parties before disciplinary action is taken. Angert and Kluger would like to continue to develop the Student SafeRides Volunteers Program and improve neighborhood relations.

**Hillary Dang and Katie Balloch**

*Hillary Dang (SFS ’12)*

Dang is from Fairfax, Va. and is pursuing a major in international politics with a concentration in international security. Her campus involvement includes Georgetown Triathlon, Student Safety Advisory Board and New Student Orientation Move-in.

*Katie Balloch (COL ’12)*

Balloch is from Darien, Conn., and is a psychology major and a Spanish and studio art minor. She is a research assistant for the psychology department, has been a Relay For Life team leader for two years and has also worked as an NSO move-in aid.

*Platform*

Funding Reform: Dang and Balloch support the new GUSA funding reform legislation and will work to ensure its success if elected. They look to build relationships with student groups on campus and create a clear and simplified system to allocate funding.

Student Safety: Dang and Balloch would like to strengthen the relationship between DPS officers and students. They hope to reform the current SafeRides system by creating a scheduled loop so students can call in for an estimated time of van arrival, and also implementing an on-call car for immediate emergency response.

Campus Campaigns: The pair would like to increase student awareness and participation in campus-wide campaigns, such as the Switch It Off Challenge and the Lock Your Doors campaign. They also look to decrease the university’s carbon footprint by promoting use of recycling receptacles.

**Arman Ismail and Tucker Stafford**

*Arman Ismail (COL ’11)*

Ismail is from Falls Church, Va., majoring in history and government. He is a current GUSA senator and chair of the Community Building, Outreach and Funding Committee.

*Tucker Stafford (COL ’12)*

Stafford is from Riverside, Conn., and currently undecided in his major. He is a member of the varsity football and lacrosse teams as well as the Student Athlete Advisory Committee.

*Platform*

Greater Diversity and Access: Ismail and Stafford would like to sponsor initiatives that foster increased communication between GUSA and the LGBTQ community, such as the creation of a permanent liaison position within the executive. They are also pushing for better maintenance of equal access to all locations on campus for disabled students and would like to reach out to student veterans, as well.

Increased Transparency and Student Participation: Ismail and Stafford want to improve accessibility and transparency to involve more of the student body in important decisions, such as the 2010 Campus Master Plan.

On-Campus Dining Reform: The team would like to lobby for the creation of a rollover plan for unused meals for those on a weekly meal plan. They also advocate better labeling of food options to accommodate students with dietary restrictions.

**Matt Wagner and Emmanuel Hampton**

*Matt Wagner (SFS ’11)*

Wagner is from San Diego, Calif. and is pursuing a major in international politics with a concentration in international security and a certificate in Arab studies. He is a member of the Superfood a cappella group and a brother in Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. His past campus involvement also includes ESCAPE and Mask & Bauble. He was a two-term GUSA senator and chair of the Senate Finance and Appropriations Committee and the Academic Affairs Committee.

*Emmanuel Hampton (COL ’11)*

Hampton is from Sugar Land, Texas, and pursuing a major in government and a minor in English. His campus involvement includes Delta Phi Epsilon, the Georgetown University Grilling Society, Georgetown University College Democrats, the Southern Society, the Philodemic Society and GU Brothers for Christ. He is also a former GUSA senator and former chair of the Senate Academic Affairs Committee.

*Platform*

Fair Write-up Policy: Wagner and Hampton look to reform the current standard of “more likely than not” to determine responsibility for violating the Code of Student Conduct. They believe that students should be viewed as innocent until proven guilty by the Residential Judicial Council. The duo would also like to provide students with the right to an advocate during RJC hearings.

Arts Advocacy: Wagner and Hampton will push for greater GUSA support and sponsorship of arts-based events on campus. They are seeking to plan a major, multidisciplinary revue performance that would incorporate various campus arts organizations on campus.

Club Finance: They are opposed to the recently passed GUSA funding reform legislation that gives the GUSA senate the final vote on club funding allocation. Instead, Wagner and Hampton look to change the method by which the leadership of the Student Activities Commission is chosen. Their primary goal will be to implement accountability and openness into the fund allocation process. ”