Professor Victim of Attempted Robbery on M Street

On Thursday, Feb. 4, at 11:45 a.m., a university professor was the victim of an attempted robbery in the 3300 block of M Street, according to the Department of Public Safety.

The suspects were attempting to obtain cash, according to Joseph Smith, associate director of the Department of Public Safety. The suspects retreated when the professor refused to yield to their threats. No actual force was used, according to Smith.

According to the Public Safety Alert sent out by DPS, three unknown black males were walking toward him as he approached his classroom, which is located on the 3300 block of M Street. Two of them passed him, and then approached him from behind, while the third confronted him from the front.

The victim reported that all of the suspects were wearing entirely black clothing. He further described that one suspect was about 5’7\” with average build, another suspect was 5’9\” also with average build, and the other suspect was around 6′, clean-shaven, with average build, wearing a hood over his head and carrying a black duffel bag.

The victim stated that one of the suspects told him to “give it up, old man.” When the complainant did not comply after the suspect repeated the demand, the suspects began walking away, at which time the complainant called DPS.

The suspects then ran east toward Wisconsin Avenue. DPS notified the Metropolitan Police Department and responded to the professor’s office. MPD officers and detectives responded and the investigation was turned over to their offices.

According to Smith, a crime of this nature directed toward a staff member is unusual.

“I don’t recall any precedent for this, at least since I’ve been here, as to [a similar crime occurring] to a staff member,” Smith said.