Man Imprisoned for Five ’07-’08 GU Crimes

Arlington, Va., resident Todd Thomas was sentenced March 12 to more than 26 years in prison for crimes including burglary and assaults on five male Georgetown students in 2007 and 2008, according to The Washington Post. The ruling follows reports of two similar crimes perpetrated against males in the Georgetown community in late February.

The attacks for which Thomas has been convicted occurred in the 1200 and 1300 blocks of 33rd and 35th Streets NW, according to the Post. The victims of these crimes awoke in the night to find Thomas in their apartments. At times he was massaging or groping their shoulders and ankles, and on one occasion Thomas sexually assaulted one of the victims.

Department of Public Safety records list two sexual assaults in 2007, one in Village A and one on 35th Street. The three sexual assaults that reportedly occurred on campus in 2008 took place in LXR and Village A in April, and Nevils in May.

According to the Post, a jury found Thomas guilty of 11 charges in November, and he remained in a D.C. jail until his sentencing by D.C. Superior Court Judge Gregory E. Jackson last Friday.

At press time, it could not be confirmed if Thomas was linked to burglaries and sexual assaults attributed to any suspect or suspects colloquially designated as the “Georgetown Cuddler.”

DPS and the Metropolitan Police Department have not traced one common suspect to this string of crimes, which are most commonly break-ins and assaults perpetrated against women. Following a string of burglaries and assaults on and off campus in late August and early September, Vice President for University Safety Rocco DelMonaco noted similarities among incidents but said authorities were having difficulty pinning the crimes on one suspect.

While women are often the victims of burglaries and assaults in the Georgetown area, two similar crimes in 2010 have been perpetrated against males.

The most recent crime – a burglary and sexual assault – occurred near campus in a residence in the area of 35th and T Streets on Feb. 28 and was reported by a male victim unaffiliated with the university on March 2, according to a public safety alert.

A male student reported his house burglarized on Feb. 22, a public safety alert stated. The suspect broke into the home and left after the victim awoke and asked the suspect what he was doing in the house.

The suspects in each of these crimes committed against males are described as white males wearing or possibly wearing a dark-colored jacket.

Authorities do not believe Thomas is linked to any recent burglaries or assaults in the Georgetown area.