Details of Revised Campus Plan Released

Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E released the details of Georgetown’s revised 2010 Campus Plan on its website Thursday afternoon, including more information about the proposed Georgetown Community Partnership.

The revisions, which are the result of two months of private negotiations between the university and its neighbors, include commitments from Georgetown to house 90 percent of undergraduates on campus by fall 2025, establish a satellite campus of up to 100 acres and place a renewed emphasis on on-campus student life.

Georgetown also pledged to address neighbors’ quality of life concerns  by setting stricter standards regarding off-campus student behavior and implementing measures to relieve congestion and noise pollution in the neighborhood caused by traffic to and from the university.

The GCP, an element of the revised plan that was announced Wednesday afternoon, will be key to maintaining the accord reached through the private negotiations of the past two months.

According to a joint submission to the D.C. Zoning Commission filed by the university, ANC 2E, theBurleith Citizens Association and the Citizens Association of Georgetown, the GCP will be co-chaired by a member of the university’s senior leadership and a person designated by ANC 2E.

The partnership will have a committee structure to address key issues, with a steering committee composed of representatives from ANCs 2E and 3D, the BCA, CAG, the Foxhall Community Citizens Association and university leadership.

In addition, the university will now fund a consultant, to be selected jointly by Georgetown, the ANCs and neighborhood groups, to analyze and deliver annual reports on the GCP’s progress.

It is not clear from the submission what role students will play in the new partnership.

The submission also includes further details on planned changes to quality of life initiatives, undergraduate and graduate housing and the university’s total enrollment cap.

Chief among these is a new policy eliminating the current registration system for on-campus parties. According to the submission, this will “assure that the environment for students to host social gatherings … is at least as welcoming on campus as off campus.”

In addition, Georgetown will begin implementing measures to shift undergraduate housing back on campus. Magis Row will be moved from 36th to the block of 37th street facing the front gates and townhouses on the 1400 block of 36th street will be repurposed for faculty and staff housing and daytime administrative usage.

The university also agreed to cap its enrollment at 14,106 students, more than 2,000 fewer than the 16,133 proposed when the Campus Plan was originally submitted in December 2010.

The agreement also involved shortening the span of time covered by the Campus Plan. This particular plan will encompass seven years and will expire Dec. 31, 2017. According to a long-term plan posted on the ANC 2E website, the university aims to then extend the timeline of main campus development by designing 20-year, rather than 10-year, plans for expansion.

ANC 2E will hold a public meeting to consider the university’s revisions on June 14.