Payroll System Glitch Leaves Some Unpaid

Some student employees have not been paid this semester due to problems with the university’s transition to the Georgetown Management System, a new employee organization portal.

Students who work two on-campus jobs or who receive work-study payments have particularly noticed glitches in the new system. Although GMS, which was implemented over winter break, is intended to be more user-friendly, students’ paychecks have been taking a hard hit.

“It is an upgraded system. Anytime you transfer that much data there are certainly going to be kinks,” university spokeswoman Stacy Kerr said. “The important thing to note is as soon as university officials were made aware of the problems, we … devoted [a] significant amount of resources to making sure the students’ problems are corrected.”

Kirsten Harris (SFS ’14), who works for the Residence Hall Office and for the Office of Campus Activities and Facilities, has been receiving her paychecks but in inconsistent amounts.

“The problem is that the system is flawed. I’m getting paid, but things are really messed up,” Harris said. “They can’t figure out where the hours are coming from.”

Harris noted that one of her co-workers was only receiving 12 cents an hour earlier this semester.

According to Kerr, the Department of Human Resources has increased the training for personnel responsible for related data to address problems for those working multiple jobs and receiving work-study payments. Some students who were hired at the beginning of the semester have also reported problems with the system.

“As soon as the administration became aware of these issues, we immediately augmented the resources, sent out information directly to the students with directions to go to the Student Employment Office and get some of these cases resolved,” Kerr said.

However, several students have yet to receive compensation for any hours worked this semester or only recently received payment.

Julie Negussie (COL ’14), who works both as a student guard and for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, said the lack of centralized communication between her two departments was the most frustrating.

“Each of the departments I worked at would send over the payroll sheets, and I could never actually get to both offices. They left it all to me as the middle man,” she said. “I kept being told that it was an issue that no one understood.”