Students March for Gun Control

About 6,000 protesters rallied on the National Mall for the March on Washington for Gun Control to demand greater restrictions to the access of deadly firearms Jan. 26.

The event began with remarks from politicians and celebrities from across the country, including Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.). Colin Goddard, a survivor of the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, also spoke.

Marchers then walked in silence from the Capitol Reflecting Pool to the Washington Monument while carrying signs bearing names of gun violence victims.

Among the marchers were D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray and residents of Newtown, Conn., along with several Georgetown students.

“I came in thinking it was a march to get rid of the Second Amendment completely but left realizing [that] the aim of the march was revision — getting rid of bullets that shatter when they enter the body [and] having background checks,” Taylor Wolfe (COL ’16), who participated in the march, said.

Wolfe indicated that the event had left her hopeful for reform.

“The majority of Americans support some kind of gun control, so I’m optimistic for [the future]. The majority of Americans want change,” Wolfe said.

According to Georgetown University College Democrats Communications Director Chris Kraft (SFS ’15), the College Dems are planning upcoming events advocating increased gun control.

“There’s a broad recognition across campus about the fact that the current system isn’t working and we need more stringent regulations,” Kraft said. “We’re very supportive of the measures that President Obama announced.”

However, College Republicans Chair Alex Cave (COL ’15) disagreed with Kraft’s assertion that Georgetown students believe increased gun control alone will reduce violence.

“It would not be accurate to generalize to the point of saying that the typical Georgetown student holds a particular position on gun rights,” Cave said. “We need a national conversation on violence, and gun rights are obviously a valid part of that conversation. … I think there’s plenty of common ground to be had, particularly with regard to background checks and stricter enforcement of existing gun laws.”