Vehicle Ban Sparks Student Backlash

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

Students will be prohibited from bringing cars to campus after a change to the Code of Student Conduct, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson announced Thursday.

The move to reduce street congestion was a provision of last summer’s 2010 Campus Plan agreement that the university promised to implement by fall 2013.

Though this provision has been known for one year, student leaders have criticized the lack of transparency and student involvement in its implementation.

“Honestly, there was not a lot of consultation because the elements of that plan were agreed upon by university leaders and neighborhood leaders,” Olson said, adding that elements of the decision were discussed in Georgetown Community Partnership working groups.

Georgetown University Student Association President Nate Tisa (SFS ’14), who sits on the GCP steering committee, said that he was not aware of any GCP discussions about student parking. He expressed confusion at how the university treated this step of the campus plan agreement in comparison to its solicitation of student input for designs of the Northeast Triangle dormitory.

“Obviously we knew this was in the campus plan, but based on how they treated the dorm and they treated a lot of other issues, I think there was an expectation that they would discuss with us, with students, the implications of this,” he said. “Right now we have a policy that has no logic behind it and also no transparency in implementation. It is very disappointing.”

Under the new regulations, students are forbidden from parking on campus or on public streets in West Georgetown, Burleith or Foxhill Village, unless they have a reserved parking space as part of an off-campus rental. Before this change, students could obtain a permit to park on public streets. Exceptions to the new rule will be made on a case-by-case basis, Olson said.

Disciplinary consequences for violations of the rule have not yet been determined, though Olson said the specifics would be discussed with students before a decision is made.

While most students do not bring cars to campus, neighbors have complained about overcrowding due to student parking on some streets.

Ben Manzione (SFS ’15), co-director of the Student Advocacy Office and member of the Disciplinary Review Committee, was concerned that the university set a dangerous precedent by unilaterally changing the code of conduct without going through the DRC as is standard procedure — a step Olson said he bypassed because the university was required to make this change regardless of DRC approval.

“Depriving students from being able to park in a neighborhood on a public street is sort of targeting students and sort of bringing students down to a lower level,” Manzione said. “The campus plan didn’t have much student input to begin with, so I think the Disciplinary Review Committee should have had a say in it.”

Students who have relied on their cars in the past are disappointed with the new regulations.

“I think Georgetown University neglects the students who have jobs off campus,” said Kelsey Warrick (COL ’14), who drives to work in McLean, Va..

Nadeen Hussain (NHS ’15), who occasionally brings her car to campus from her family’s home in northern Virginia, agreed that students deserve equal treatment.

“As long as they are obeying the D.C. laws, I don’t see any problem with having someone bring their cars,” Hussain said. “I don’t think that they should be prohibited [from parking in Georgetown].”

Olson stressed that the university is paying attention to students’ interests.

“I understand the concerns about the parking policy and its implementation,” Olson said. “I also want to emphasize that we are working actively and have worked actively with student leaders to seek student engagement in this process of implementing the campus plan agreement.”

Tisa, however, was less hopeful.

“If this is what the campus plan is going to be like for the next few years, that’s not good. It’s not a good sign,” he said.