GUMC Admins Hold Town Hall

Georgetown University Medical Center administrators presented updates to faculty members about progress at the medical school and the effects of the government shutdown as well as the 2010 Campus Plan agreement at the school’s biannual town hall Tuesday.

Howard Federoff, School of Medicine executive dean and executive vice president for health sciences, presided over the meeting.

GUMC Dean of Research Robert Clarke discussed the effects of the shutdown, including funding delays and postponed events. In addition, Clarke applauded the faculty members for their continued success in acquiring funding grants. According to Clarke, Georgetown continues to be competitive with peer institutions such as Brown University, Tufts University and Johns Hopkins University. Specifically, Georgetown recently won a competitive grant for stroke research.

“What was really nice was to beat the crap out of [Johns] Hopkins,” he said.

Several other administrators also gave updates about various sectors of the Medical Center and the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

According to NHS Dean Martin Iguchi, the NHS recently updated its website and saw a 70 percent donation rate from the Class of 2013. In addition, Iguchi spoke about the success of the new multidisciplinary Master of Science in Global Health, which launched this fall. The program involves courses taught by faculty from the College, the NHS, the School of Foreign Service, GUMC, the Georgetown University Law Center and the McCourt School of Public Policy.

After the presentations, Federoff held a question-and-answer period. One audience member asked Federoff how GUMC planned to expand and invest in its infrastructure over the coming years.

“All of what we can know now suggests there’s going to be downward pressure on tuition growth,” Federoff said.

According to Federoff, any financial gains would most likely go toward offsetting this decrease in revenue, rather than investing in further infrastructure.

Other audience members wondered how the movement of a majority of the undergraduates onto campus, a provision of the 2010 Campus Plan agreement, would affect the medical school campus.

“[University President John J. DeGioia] is under a lot of pressure to bring the undergraduates back onto campus,” Federoff said. “The locations of those new dorms, I think, are not likely to have any impact.”