Show Me the Money

Everyone knows — and complains — that campus is covered in construction. Along with these physical updates, the university has more quietly instituted changes to technology — most notably, updates to the HoyaLink Finance.

Flawed implementation of these updates, run through the Georgetown Management System, has led to real consequencesfor student clubs during one of the busiest times of year.

Because it could not access its funds, Georgetown’s mock trial team was kicked out of a competition after failing to pay the entry fee. Similarly, Welcome Week was unable to disburse funds to student groups at the beginning of the semester. Even clubs as large as the Georgetown University College Democrats and the Georgetown Running Club have claimed to have had minimal access to finances throughout the semester.

These lapses are regrettable and raise questions about the wisdom of expending time, money and apparently functionality for systems that do not provide the intended improvements in service.

While administrators have claimed that these difficulties that students have faced have been mere hiccups in a transitional period, it is important to note that this is the fourth month sincethe university made the switch. If these transitional periods are expected to take more than a few weeks, then perhaps the university should consider phasing in this technology, in order to iron out the wrinkles in the new system as they occur. Leaving clubs unable to access finances for months on end is frustrating and counterproductive for students.

Technological improvements are of course critical to assuring that Georgetown progresses smoothly through the 21st century. But Georgetown’s clubs are just as important to student life. Surely, there’s a way to make sure both needs are met on campus.