Skating Rinks Open at National Gallery, Waterfront

ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA The sculpture garden at the National Gallery of Art will feature an ice-skating rink, set to open this weekend. The rink will stay open through the winter months.
ISABEL BINAMIRA/THE HOYA
The sculpture garden at the National Gallery of Art will feature an ice-skating rink, set to open this weekend. The rink will stay open through the winter months.

As the weather takes a turn toward the chillier side, the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink on the National Mall and the Washington Harbor Ice Rink in Georgetown will be open to the public starting this weekend.

An annual Washington, D.C., winter tradition, the Sculpture Garden ice rink will give visitors the opportunity to skate while surrounded by sculptures displayed by the National Gallery of Art. The rink, which opens today, will remain on the Mall until March 16.

Since it opened to visitors in 1974, the National Gallery of Art Ice Rink has been a staple of winter in D.C. Though the widely frequented rink has always been on the National Mall, the construction of the Sculpture Garden in 1999 offered an ideal location for the rink each winter.

National Gallery of Art Chief of Press and Public Information Deborah Ziska said that the Sculpture Garden ice rink’s location provides a unique experience for visitors.

“The experience of skating in the Sculpture Garden, surrounded by the grand architecture of national museum and monuments, is enhanced by the splendid views of large-scale sculptures by modern and contemporary artists including Louise Bourgeois, Alexander Calder, Roy Lichtenstein, Roxy Paine, Tony Smith and others from the Gallery’s renowned collection,” Ziska wrote in an email.

According to Ziska, the ice rink also features a distinctive scenic backdrop in addition to the sculptures.

“Visitors may enjoy spacious seating and walking areas amid the Native American canopy and flowering trees, shrubs, ground covers and perennials,” Ziska said. “The majestic fountain at the center of the garden gives visitors a chance to rest and reflect on the works on view.”

This year, the gallery’s guest services will offer both skating and ice hockey lessons. Students can register individually or with a group.

Tickets for the rink are $7 for students, and a season pass that covers unlimited access to the ice rink is $195. In celebration of its opening, visitors to the ice rink on Saturday and Sunday will receive a complimentary cup of hot chocolate from the Pavilion Café at the museum.

This winter, the Georgetown neighborhood will offer its own annual skating rink, set to open this Saturday.

The Washington Harbor Ice Rink at Georgetown is the largest ice-skating venue in D.C. Skating lessons will also be offered, in addition to event planning services for private parties. Though normally tickets are $10, college students will receive a special entry rate, saving $2 off from the original price, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Thursdays.

Georgetown students praised the two ice rinks as an opportunity to go off campus and partake in the city’s culture.

“That sounds like a fantastic time. It would be great to get off campus for a few hours and just enjoy some of the unique experiences D.C. has to offer. Ice skating is pretty chill — no pun intended — so it is definitely something I would be interested in doing,” Nick Zeffiro (SFS ’18) said.

Kathryn Shortsleeve (NHS ’18) said that the prospect of ice skating helps remind her of winters at home in Massachusetts.

“Ice skating was something I loved to do at home, so it’s awesome that they offer it here in D.C. as a fun winter activity,” she said.

For students like Kris Muzzi (COL ’18) who haven’t mastered the ice, the skating lessons provided by the ice rink are a great opportunity.

“I don’t know how to ice skate, but I know that you can have lessons there, and what better place to get ice skating lessons than the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden?” Muzzi said.