GOLF | Teams Earn Top-10 Finishes

The Georgetown men’s golf team travelled to Bridgeport, West Virginia this past weekend to compete at the HealthPlan Mountaineer Invitational, while the women’s team headed to Sammamish, Washington for the University of Washington’s Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational.

The women’s team finished sixth out of a 12-team field, turning in a three-round score of 42-over par 906. They recorded 12 birdies in Wednesday’s round to pass Brigham Young University and San Francisco.

As a team, the Hoyas beat their score from last year’s tournament on the same course by 15 strokes.

Washington, ranker No. 16 in the country, won the event and was the only team to finish under par, recording a 5-under par 859.

Senior Alexa Popowitz and junior Ashley Fitzgibbons led the Hoyas this weekend, carding a 7-over par 223 and an 8-over par 224, respectively. The Hoyas close out their fall season at the University of Delaware’s Blue Hen Invitational on Oct. 20-21.

The men’s golf team finished tenth out of a 14-team field in its event this weekend.

Junior Patrick DiPasquale posted the team’s best individual score with an 11-over par 227, tying for 27th place. Juniors Eduardo Blochtein and Hardin Councill tied for 37th with three-round scores of 230. West Virginia won the tournament with a final team score of 2-over par 866.

Georgetown’s men’s golf team will host and look to defend their title at the 34th Georgetown Intercollegiate at the Members Club at Four Streams in Beallsville, Md., on Oct. 15-16.